TIRE noob HELP. Thought and input - Duratrac 275s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello all! Been lurking for years, finally joined.

I wanted to improve the performance and look of the LR4 rig, so I did a little research and mimicked another build.

To my surprise, the tires do not fit.

I have the 18" lucky8's wheels with the spacers that come with them.

Then the tires: Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 275/65R-18

after some more reading.. apparently there is a lot of debate on these tires, rigidness of the sidewall and if they can stand up to rocky roads.

Anyway so they are installed now and do rub a little when turning. My friend simply states, remove the wheel well shields or.. lift kit or different tires.

Has anyone tried these tires? Did I miss on the first pitch?

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They can be made to work. I ran that size for several years.

You need to look into the following for that size:

Cut/weld the frame "horns" in both front wheel wells
Secure drivers front ride height sensor harness out of the way
Reshape front fender liners with a heat gun
Cut or pound flat the "shark fin" body seam in each rear wheel well.
Reroute the heater lines in the passenger rear wheel well
Reshape rear fender liners with a heat gun

Doing the above will give you full range of motion on the suspension without any rubbing. I would strongly advise against permanently removing any of the fender liners.

Be aware, without any other mods, you are are either right on the cusp of, or are immobile with that size tire if your air suspension fails and drops the truck to the stops. There are ways to deal with that situation as well. Plumb in some valves to manually inflate each corner and carry an alternate air source, SYA strut spacers, coil conversion, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA