tis the season, block heater, anyone do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the LR3 is the first vehicle I have owned that did not have a block heater. After wonderful weather the sound of the starting this week i want to install one for peace of mind and longevity.

I found the part number (VUB504640) for about $65 online.
Does anyone know where to get the cord? I know it's not LR, but figured I would ask. Also, does anyone know where to find this part install in a service manual...if it even exists for this. I know LR abandoned this long ago. Thanks.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I JUST had one installed...and I mean like, yesterday.

Both parts are to a TEMRO Block Heater, but that's what goes into the LR. Your Part number for the block heater is correct. The chord is:

> Block Heater Cord part Temro part number 3600003
> $42.84

...credit "bbyer" for that information! The shop charged about 5 hours of labor for the install. The frost plug is on the driver's side of the block. It's a 17MM bolt. Just unscrew the frost plug and screw in the block heater then run the chord. The front diff can be "moved" out of the way by loosening it and lowering it.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Both parts are to a TEMRO Block Heater, but that's what goes into the LR. Your Part number for the block heater is correct. The chord is:

> $42.84

...credit "bbyer" for that information! The shop charged about 5 hours of labor for the install. The frost plug is on the driver's side of the block. It's a 17MM bolt. Just unscrew the frost plug and screw in the block heater then run the chord. The front diff can be "moved" out of the way by loosening it and lowering it.

Thanks so much for the info. O-Reilly has the cord for about $17. I'll get the heater online. I'll be tackling the job myself, hope it's not that involved. I do have lift access and full shop of tools so not too worried. Starting the LR in the morning was just too painful to hear. picked up a CTEK charger also to assist with a trickle charge.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a lift and shop tools I think it's easy. Getting access is the toughest part. LR Edmonton told me that they "lower" the front diff to get to it more easily. Then it's just a 17 MM Hex head. unbolt, drain fluid, screw in, fill with fluid, tighten diff, route chord. Enjoy.

No shop instruction/procedure though, unfortunately.

K9Hexe

Reaction score
So whats the verdict?

How did the install go? Do you see/feel a difference this winter with it working?

Im just about to tackle the same job. Any tips would be much appreciated.

PWD2

Reaction score

> $42.84

5 hours !
I was hoping to install one for a far north trip, could be -35c or below.. but that is big investment for a few days trip.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if that is what it ended up being...I remember it costing around $550 and that's less than 5 hours labor.

You could always try the adhesive type or the kinds that cut into the coolant. I have big ass aftermarket skids under my vehicle and didn't want to mess around.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72