TMPS Recommendation ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChicagoLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a set of TPMS for winter wheels/tires.

Is there a good aftermarket option or should I stick with oem ?

Any particular site which offers good options and prices ?

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a related question, has anyone ever found a way to hack the system to display the actual pressures on the earlier LR4's?

I disabled mine long ago because the simple idiot light wasn't all that useful to me. If I could get the actual pressure reading of each tire in the display it would actually be useful.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a related question, has anyone ever found a way to hack the system to display the actual pressures on the earlier LR4's?

I disabled mine long ago because the simple idiot light wasn't all that useful to me. If I could get the actual pressure reading of each tire in the display it would actually be useful.

I've been using the TyMate external TPMS sensors. They're external so you can just move them around when you rotate the tires. And they give you both tire pressure and tire temps and you can set alarms for high/low/temp conditions.

https://www.amazon.com/Tymate-Wireless-Monitoring-Real-time-Temperature/dp/B07HNPQ4X3

I ended up with two sets at one point which was good because I drove off without putting a sensor on last week so I was able to grab one of my spares, put the gauge in learning mode, and reset it all so they would all read fine.

I also run the LR internal TPMS so they're both active simultaneously. I have often wondered about your question - whether anybody had found a way to get data from the LR TPMS and display it on the dash or on a phone.

In the absence of an answer to that, I just went external again (which is what I've done on my last three vehicles.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using the TyMate external TPMS sensors. They're external so you can just move them around when you rotate the tires. And they give you both tire pressure and tire temps and you can set alarms for high/low/temp conditions.

https://www.amazon.com/Tymate-Wireless-Monitoring-Real-time-Temperature/dp/B07HNPQ4X3

I ended up with two sets at one point which was good because I drove off without putting a sensor on last week so I was able to grab one of my spares, put the gauge in learning mode, and reset it all so they would all read fine.

I also run the LR internal TPMS so they're both active simultaneously. I have often wondered about your question - whether anybody had found a way to get data from the LR TPMS and display it on the dash or on a phone.

In the absence of an answer to that, I just went external again (which is what I've done on my last three vehicles.)

That is an interesting thought. I hadn't considered a "piggyback" solution. Wonder if I could gut the power socket dongle and hardwire the display into a permanent location.

Do they protrude from the wheel when mounted where damage on rocks, downed tree's, etc. would be more likely than with a regular valve stem?

Have you had them submerged? Did they survive?

Thanks.

ETA: I'm going to go email Patrick at GAP and see if they have considered adding TPMS display to their "live values" data monitoring. The data has to be on the bus somewhere.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is an interesting thought. I hadn't considered a "piggyback" solution. Wonder if I could gut the power socket dongle and hardwire the display into a permanent location.

Do they protrude from the wheel when mounted where damage on rocks, downed tree's, etc. would be more likely than with a regular valve stem?

Have you had them submerged? Did they survive?

Thanks.

ETA: I'm going to go email Patrick at GAP and see if they have considered adding TPMS display to their "live values" data monitoring. The data has to be on the bus somewhere.

Problem with pulling those live values is the setup each time on the tool. It's so much better having it run to a small dedicated gauge and plugging it into one of the sockets in the front cabin by the driver is fine.

I've definitely submerged them - no issue. My few problems so far have been at one point the gauge melted but I think it was because I ran an iPad through the USB port and fried it. The other issue was that one of the tiny little O-rings fell out of one of the sensors so when I mounted them on the LR, it actually caused a very slow leak. Had to toss that sensor (I was never going to find another O-Ring that was perfect). Bought a full duplicate set and now I have two gauges (2 is 1 and 1 is none!) and 8 (now 7) sensors.

At this point, I could just completely remove the internal LR TPMS sensors since they're really not providing any value at this point.

I think you can do these TPMS sensors as internals too (different kit obviously) but then you run into the problem we have discussed ad nauseum which is whether or not they will seat and seal in our various rims.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year did they actually introduce the PSI reading to the to the warning section? Didn't know it wasn't on the earlier models.

It is fairly convenient and I do use it to check from time to time, but it's not the total coolest thing.

Now remote start and AC seats...
I'd **** to have that as standard, but not enough to buy a Defender, yet...

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV