Towing wih LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Who tows with their LR4 and how does it do?

Ive got a boat that weighs just under 5K lbs and this will be my only tow vehicle.

Spring/summer months mostly. Ill have it out 4 or 5 times a month.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jim6090

Reaction score
I have not towed with my current 2012 LR4. But did with LR3 and Discovery II. You will love it. Only issue will be increased brake wear. I am sure you will like most and it won't be that much of a percent of usage. Have fun.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tow with my lr4. 24 bluewave purebay boat...the lr4 can handle it easily.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. From the power I sampled, it seems like it runs plenty strong enough. I love the load leveling and trailer sway control. Ive towed with similar sized SUVs before but Ive always shared towing responsibilities between two vehicles. Once I pick up an LR4, that will no longer be the case as we are both getting rid of our pickup trucks and our other vehicle will not be a tow vehicle. So I just wanted to get some opinions and experiences to make sure it could handle it.

I might be looking for brake upgrades or options. Ive heard brake wear is pretty bad with LR4s. As mentioned, towing will exacerbate that issue somewhat. Surely, someone has come up with a better mousetrap by now.?.?

I'm getting exited though! We almost bought an LR3 in 06 but we chickened out literally at the last second. We've always regretted that.

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few other threads exist that mention towing and also search for info on the hitch if you have questions there.

IMG_20131103_114231_zps511501a1.jpg

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few other threads exist that mention towing and also search for info on the hitch if you have questions there.

IMG_20131103_114231_zps511501a1.jpg

Hey there MBW Ive actually seen that picture on a google search. If your LR4 will pull that boat, then itll pull mine. LOL!
If the old calculation of 10% of the weigh of the boat/trailer combo equals tongue weight, then I'm WELL within specs.

What kind of MPGs do you get? Not that it matters much to me but it would be interesting to know.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MPG really depends on the wind, but ive seen 10-16 highway. Mostly around 12-14. (With the covers on, bimini closed but up).

I live in Dubuque, IA, which is on the Mississippi river, so I usually just take the covers off and tow it to the ramp ready to go. (with just the trailer straps on the back). It does fine with that also.

The only bad thing about towing 8'6" beam boat with an LR4 is the width of the LR4, the mirrors dont let you see around the boat very well. I have mirror extenders but they vibrate a little and I find that annoying.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick