Towing with 16 L405 Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mcb14230

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the only option for a reciever hitch on the '16 L405 thru Land Rover? when i search Google all i find are for the sport model which i believe is smaller in the back frame width..

brad carlton

Reaction score
I just bought a trailer bar from a junk yard. It was $375 for just the rebar. Search for rear bumper reinforcement complete and you may find a whole setup. I find the junk yards throw away all of the good parts and sell only the bumper bar, why I do not know.
I am told that you can use it but not to tow, just to haul stuff from the hitch like a bike rack, etc. Fort Myers LR sells pretty cheap and you can buy the support, foams, electric and lower trays which will run you about $675 including a bar for 375. when all said and done. About 1/2 compared to the stealership. There is no aftermarket solution available.

And yes I tow, but when its heavy, I use my 7.3 Diesel Excursion 4x4 w 12,500 cap.

brad carlton

Reaction score
Sport Hitch will NOT fit the L405.

You will need a VPLGT0083 bumper bar,
LR036694 support bracket and VPLGT0074 harness,VPLGT0097, VPLGB0154, LR090834- under tray, foams, bumper cover, then you will need some 50mm and 40mm bolts. The kit from LRV is around $1300, you can piece together for less.

DaveCap

Reaction score
Sport Hitch will NOT fit the L405.

You will need a VPLGT0083 bumper bar,
LR036694 support bracket and VPLGT0074 harness,VPLGT0097, VPLGB0154, LR090834- under tray, foams, bumper cover, then you will need some 50mm and 40mm bolts. The kit from LRV is around $1300, you can piece together for less.

I just ordered one on ebay that's listed for a sport. On the ad it says it fits both, sport and full size. I need it for my l405. I called roverspot in CA. They claim it will fit. He seemed pretty confident. He says there may be a slight mod or two, but only for the plastic cover. I'm not looking to pull anything heavy. Just a bike carrier or a tray in the back. I'm hoping you're wrong here. Any further input on this? Thank you in advance.

drkbrent

Reaction score
I tow with my ‘17 Sport diesel. 2 4wheelers and 2 dirt bikes is all I’ve ever pulled from LA to CO. I made the mistake of putting in 15w - 40 engine oil...kept overheating once I hit the mountains. I don’t believe the 40wt oil hurt anything...just thinking the sensors/electronics are so damn sensitive that the heavier flow of the oil caused the excess heat which triggered the electronics to throw a code! Haven’t seen the code since going back to the 30wt oil. I’m sure the 119 degree temps outside didn’t help!!
C82587B0-D336-4DD2-9B64-0EE0E7B224D3.jpeg

DaveCap

Reaction score
I just bought a trailer bar from a junk yard. It was $375 for just the rebar. Search for rear bumper reinforcement complete and you may find a whole setup. I find the junk yards throw away all of the good parts and sell only the bumper bar, why I do not know.
I am told that you can use it but not to tow, just to haul stuff from the hitch like a bike rack, etc. Fort Myers LR sells pretty cheap and you can buy the support, foams, electric and lower trays which will run you about $675 including a bar for 375. when all said and done. About 1/2 compared to the stealership. There is no aftermarket solution available.

And yes I tow, but when its heavy, I use my 7.3 Diesel Excursion 4x4 w 12,500 cap.

So after installing the bar, if you add the support bracket, can you then tow?

David Vanharen

Reaction score
DaveCap,

can you share any additional info on the reciever? I've been searching in vane for one. just need it, like you, for a bike rack on my 2014 range rover thanx Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA