Towing with the LR4... Tongue Weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed in some older threads... but I'm still not very satisfied with the answers I've found...

The LR4 is rated for a towing capacity of around 7700lbs, but the manual states a 550lb max tongue weight. There's some controversy around this number since the LR hitch says 770lbs for tongue weight right on it..... so what gives?

Everyone will have a different "rule of thumb" for tongue weight, but for boats it is around 10% of the overall load... This would make the 770/7700 seem like an accurate pairing. The 550/7700 seems odd to me. Has anyone towed near the max towing capacity... and if so, what's your tongue weight at?

I know not everyone tows with the LR4, but I'm hoping there are at a least a few people who can chime in. Thanks!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I put my boat on it, im not sure what the weight is, but I am pretty sure its above 500. Without a failure though, its not of much use as data.

I have read the past threads also and given LR's skill at updating manuals and figures, i'd say it was 550 for a long time and then when they came out with the newer hitch design they just never bothered to update it all.

I think we are all guessing though. And I have seen some discos with crazy over loading on the hitches. I've also never heard of a failure with these hitches, but again, the data set is probably very small.

What would you guess the failure point would be? I would think maybe the sliding pin that actually holds the hitch in place? It would have to shear off or have been hit from behind and bent and pop out under stress?

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you... I don't even think a 770lb tongue weight would be nearly enough to cause a failure. The sliding pin could be a failure point, but the whole assembly (as quirky as it is) seems really solid.

Just curious MBW- what kind of hitch are you using (rise/drop/adjustable)?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a straight hitch, its the right height. I choose one with a welded on ball so nobody can just unbolt the ball and take my trailer. Used a locking pin also.

DSC_5660_zpsec53ee6a.jpg

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are many factors you have to look at to determine tow capacity. By comparing all the various specifications, you determine which one is the "weak link" in the chain, and that is the maximum you can tow. The 770 is the rating of the hitch itself, not the truck you are plugging it into. The air suspension on these trucks limit their capacity for heavy loading. Read the manual and respect all the ratings (maximum axle, maximum vehicle weight, etc). You might find calculators online that can help, but there are always some assumptions to be made - for example, when you calculate maximum vehicle weight and maximum axle weight I assume tongue weight is a component of that.

I think the biggest factor is knowing where you are going and how often. If I needed to haul a 7000 lb trailer across town (flat) one time....I'd do it with the LR4. If I wanted to buy a camping trailer weighing 7000 lbs to take to the mountains once a month along with a full set of gear and family, I'd plan on getting a more suitable truck for towing it. Another thing to consider is that gas mileage (and range) is pretty poor with these trucks when towing (I get like 13 on the highway with a ~3000 lb trailer)...I'd much rather have a diesel for regular towing duty.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Daniel. I actually spoke with a few different trailer manufacturers this morning, and they are shooting for tongue weights lower than I first expected (300-400lb range). Didn't buy the LR4 thinking I'd be doing much towing, but things change, and I don't think I could give up the LR4 for a pickup right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV