Tps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about titling this 'Problem with TPS reports' but then not many people would have looked. ;) The usual Office Space movie joke.

This is my TPS, right? See first attachment.

It looks pretty screwed up to me. Undoubtedly the previous owners didn't want to replace it and just tried to rig it their own way.

The reason I took it off is because the engine surges slightly around 400-1000rpm at times when the throttle is released, usually around 30-50 mph...sometimes when higher sometimes when lower.

While I'm posting photos and messing with the intake area, have a look at this:

See second attachment.

Is that dirty or what? hehe. That was after I wiped off all the dirt I could. I have since run most of a can of throttle body cleaner through it with the engine running, similar to the method prescribed to Seafoam type products.

TPS.jpg

Intake.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sergei for telling me to look at the whole page and find the button marked 'manage attachments'. :adore:

Last edited:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here Melissa showing her TPS on 4.0L engine
attachment.php

Hope she dont mind me using that picture :)

---

Ok :) so it was figured out..

Its not that dirty :) To get complete idea of how bad insides are - just take off plenum cover. Then you will get better picture

As of TPS - i am not 4.0L owner, so i cant really comment if it may cause such surges. But from mere physics standpoint they shouldnt really go that bad. What it does is that it plugs into throttle plate and when it moves - bloody thing changes electical resistance so value that goes back to ECU is different.

Another bit is - if it surges only at high speeds, then i doubt that its TPS that is going.. Failing TPS shall basically send reading that are off or cut values off at all speeds, b/c its not really related to any speed.

I'd say you got funky VSS... (vehicle speed sensor)

Last edited:

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Ha ha Serg. You are so cool!! :) I have pictures of EVERYTHING on my Truck.. Trans, hoses, Cats, muffler..Let me know what you need ..I Got em' all. Melissa N

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is the piece I took off. Look at the holes in my image where the bolts pass through. Someone used a power drill to enlarge and generally hack up the TPS, so it seems.

I thought Melissa said that was the IAC in the thread I read on dweb...lol, jk Melissa.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Ha ha Jeff... :tongue: I uploaded too quick! Your TPS looks like it might not feel well..Hmm..Someone took a drill bit to it..BAST****!!

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Arf :)

Well after looking closely yeah, it looks like someone was hacking poor thing.
Guess dude tried to adjust basic idle value in that weirdo way.

Here is thing about your TPS then.

- it should actually have gasket :) If it doesnt - use some sensor safe thing to make one.
- hook it back. Next step depends if you afraid or not of voiding warranty if you got one. I am not having one, so.... :) See that bluish locked plate on Melissa's picture? Under it there is basic idle bolt. On 3.9L its allen head, but i am not sure what about 4.0L. Adjusting it up/down will decrease/increase basic idle.

But i still think surging at high speed is not related to poor thing.

Last edited:

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VSS was replaced a couple months ago by LR Thousand Oaks. I think I'll order one from Motorcars LTD or Atlantic British. They seem to have good prices.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, it surges at all speeds, just more commonly at speeds ...now that I think of it, almost always around 30-35 mph, in the city.

And there is no gasket there. I kind of doubt that is the problem, seeing how they hacked it up. Possible though...

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah.. Ok.. Does it surge when simply idling in P?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV