Trail Report from Moab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

A while back I asked for help from forum members about their experience with trails in Moab. It was my first time out there. I got some good info from the LR3 forum that was very helpful. I also talked with Dave at LR Flatirons who was helpful. Anyway, here are my comments on taking an LR4 to Moab for the first time.

First day and a half were spent on White Rim Trail in Canyonlands National Park. A great trail. Highly recommended to drive it, take a few hikes (including a slot canyon), and camp at least one night on the trail. This is doable in a stock LR4.

As for trails, first i went on Steelbender, since it was very close to where I was staying in Moab. I only did the first part up to the point where there is about a 6 foot vertical drop. At that point I had to turn around. This section is also probably doable in a stock LR4, though it would be best to have the rod-mod lift installed.

Next up, Hell's Revenge. A great trail and introduction to driving on slickrock. Nothing too technical on this trail, except for the last optional obstacle, Tip Over Challenge. This gave me some big problems. Made it most of the way up, then got tippy and started slowly sliding back down the hill sideways. Was pretty hairy for a while while i was basically teetering on two tires about to tip over. After about 45 minutes of trying various things, ended up having my friend in his AEV JK ****** me up the hill. This was probably one obstacle where a rear locker would be very helpful. Again, this obstacle was optional, and the rest of the trail posed no issues.

The next full day was spent on Poison Spider Mesa - Golden Spike - Gold Bar Rim trails. I couldn't find any LR4's or even LR3's that had done Golden Spike so I felt I was attempting to break new ground. For these trails, I wouldn't recommend any setup less than what I have (see my signature). My sliders and skids got really beat up on these trails, particularly Golden Spike. Poison Spider Mesa was a fun trail. The wedgie was very cool. I took the LR4 up the left had side most of the way, then dipped into the hole at the end to get a raised wheel photo. All the other obstacles were doable, you just had to be very careful in picking your lines. I didn't have any issues on this trail. Just need a good spotter and good lines.

Golden Spike was another matter entirely. It was pretty rough, but had some of the fun on this trail. The launchpad is great! Very fun to point straight uphill and not see anything but your hood and the blue sky. Skyline Drive is also great. The first viewpoint is incredible. You are standing right on the cliffs that look down on the town of Moab. Then we came to Golden Crack. We tried many times to get the LR4 over the crack. And basically what would happen is i would get the first wheel over, then the traction control would try to give power to the two wheels that were off the ground, so I couldn't move. If my LR4 had a few more miles on it, then i would have been more aggressive and tried to bump it across. Apart from that, i don't know how an LR4 would get across. A rear locker might also be helpful as well in this situation. So i crossed over down below where a rock helps you across. Then we came to the golden stairs. Here again was a place where a rear locker would be helpful. Had to get snatched up here as well. Had to get snatched in one more place on the trail after that. Apart from these obstacles, the trail is just continually rough with lots of rock ledges. In summary, I would do this trail again, and try to be more aggressive to avoid needing help. But i wouldn't even consider going on this trail without 1) a very capable truck in front of me to help out if needed, 2) a very experienced and capable spotter (which i had) and 3) a built up LR4 with at least what my truck has (plus a rear locker would be helpful). Its pretty scary how beat up my sliders and skid plates are. My front bumper survived with no scratches (the front skid took most of the damage) but my rear bumper got pretty scratched up. (Gives it some character!)

Gold Bar Rim is connected to the end of Golden Spike and it is mostly downhill. Lots of ledges. Not too much trouble until the last obstacle, a giant ledge. We got to this point and wondered how we were gonna get up. The LR4 shined here. A few well placed rocks and she climbed up no problem.

Lastly we did Top of the World trail. Very rough trail. Unparalleled view at the end. Doable in stock LR4 but you might get some damage unless you are very careful.

So thats my trail report. Hope it helps some of you guys in the future.

Here's a link to some pictures, still going through some more and still working on the videos.

https://www.icloud.com/journal/#4;CAEQARoQbmvmX5WhJs5oRrYU6LMjGw;B4AB64FD-CCA2-4A0A-AE86-622FA51CEC0B

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey ndrenfro,

That was an awesome trip report along with some pretty darn amazing photos. I have them bookmarked and plan to take a good look when I get home. I read your trip report quite eagerly, as I have wanted to visit Moab in my LR4 for a while. I am glad to see the Cooper Zeon LTZs did well for you! :)

Looking forward to seeing more pictures / videos - really awesome!

Regards, David

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome pictures
Impressed that you took a relatively new vehicle through some of that stuff...thats why i will hang on to my D1 for a while! I can now see the merit in getting the 18's and swing away carrier

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice pics. I would love to make that trip sometime. Our memorial day kept us close to home, but I did get one cool pic (not on the scale of yours, but cool for east Texas)
journal

https://www.icloud.com/journal/#4;C...E-Eu06CQ;26115244-6049-4439-85C4-0731F0C9E453

Last edited:

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

A while back I asked for help from forum members about their experience with trails in Moab. It was my first time out there. I got some good info from the LR3 forum that was very helpful. I also talked with Dave at LR Flatirons who was helpful. Anyway, here are my comments on taking an LR4 to Moab for the first time.

First day and a half were spent on White Rim Trail in Canyonlands National Park. A great trail. Highly recommended to drive it, take a few hikes (including a slot canyon), and camp at least one night on the trail. This is doable in a stock LR4.

As for trails, first i went on Steelbender, since it was very close to where I was staying in Moab. I only did the first part up to the point where there is about a 6 foot vertical drop. At that point I had to turn around. This section is also probably doable in a stock LR4, though it would be best to have the rod-mod lift installed.

Next up, Hell's Revenge. A great trail and introduction to driving on slickrock. Nothing too technical on this trail, except for the last optional obstacle, Tip Over Challenge. This gave me some big problems. Made it most of the way up, then got tippy and started slowly sliding back down the hill sideways. Was pretty hairy for a while while i was basically teetering on two tires about to tip over. After about 45 minutes of trying various things, ended up having my friend in his AEV JK ****** me up the hill. This was probably one obstacle where a rear locker would be very helpful. Again, this obstacle was optional, and the rest of the trail posed no issues.

The next full day was spent on Poison Spider Mesa - Golden Spike - Gold Bar Rim trails. I couldn't find any LR4's or even LR3's that had done Golden Spike so I felt I was attempting to break new ground. For these trails, I wouldn't recommend any setup less than what I have (see my signature). My sliders and skids got really beat up on these trails, particularly Golden Spike. Poison Spider Mesa was a fun trail. The wedgie was very cool. I took the LR4 up the left had side most of the way, then dipped into the hole at the end to get a raised wheel photo. All the other obstacles were doable, you just had to be very careful in picking your lines. I didn't have any issues on this trail. Just need a good spotter and good lines.

Golden Spike was another matter entirely. It was pretty rough, but had some of the fun on this trail. The launchpad is great! Very fun to point straight uphill and not see anything but your hood and the blue sky. Skyline Drive is also great. The first viewpoint is incredible. You are standing right on the cliffs that look down on the town of Moab. Then we came to Golden Crack. We tried many times to get the LR4 over the crack. And basically what would happen is i would get the first wheel over, then the traction control would try to give power to the two wheels that were off the ground, so I couldn't move. If my LR4 had a few more miles on it, then i would have been more aggressive and tried to bump it across. Apart from that, i don't know how an LR4 would get across. A rear locker might also be helpful as well in this situation. So i crossed over down below where a rock helps you across. Then we came to the golden stairs. Here again was a place where a rear locker would be helpful. Had to get snatched up here as well. Had to get snatched in one more place on the trail after that. Apart from these obstacles, the trail is just continually rough with lots of rock ledges. In summary, I would do this trail again, and try to be more aggressive to avoid needing help. But i wouldn't even consider going on this trail without 1) a very capable truck in front of me to help out if needed, 2) a very experienced and capable spotter (which i had) and 3) a built up LR4 with at least what my truck has (plus a rear locker would be helpful). Its pretty scary how beat up my sliders and skid plates are. My front bumper survived with no scratches (the front skid took most of the damage) but my rear bumper got pretty scratched up. (Gives it some character!)

Gold Bar Rim is connected to the end of Golden Spike and it is mostly downhill. Lots of ledges. Not too much trouble until the last obstacle, a giant ledge. We got to this point and wondered how we were gonna get up. The LR4 shined here. A few well placed rocks and she climbed up no problem.

Lastly we did Top of the World trail. Very rough trail. Unparalleled view at the end. Doable in stock LR4 but you might get some damage unless you are very careful.

So thats my trail report. Hope it helps some of you guys in the future.

Here's a link to some pictures, still going through some more and still working on the videos.

https://www.icloud.com/journal/#4;CAEQARoQbmvmX5WhJs5oRrYU6LMjGw;B4AB64FD-CCA2-4A0A-AE86-622FA51CEC0B

Great write up, ndrenfro!

Did you custom build that winch into your bumper? That's a very clean setup along with the swing away spare. I still love those 18" comp wheels.

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind comments guys. The Coopers are great tires. The twisting of the rubber as i tried to cross Golden Crack was pretty amazing - I ran them at about 20 psi and they held up well. My compomotive wheels don't look so nice now with some large scratches on them. I hadn't heard about Cane Creek. What is it rated? Golden Spike is a 7 and I think it is certainly the limit for a well built LR4. OUgrad - That is the Devon internal winch mount. I love it. Having those built in winching points i thought were also a great asset over the stock one.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like you guys had an awesome time, Nathan! Now I REALLY wish we could have gone! Great pics too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV