1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer programming with GAP IID tool

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Compressor.guy, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Compressor.guy

Compressor.guy Member

Just installed a trailer hitch and the wiring harness from AB. There are several options available to enable with the gap tool, but I'm not sure what all to select. Anyone have any insight? Here is a pic of the options. In the "trailer module" there are a number of different options based on the type of connector. I don't know what "tow bar" means vs. "trailer towing ball"? Does "trailer stability assist" work with any trailer, or that requires some other special equipment like electric brakes?

Thanks,
    Jeff

trailer options.PNG

2. stufrowin

stufrowin Full Access Member

I had the exact same question, I just picked a couple and turned them on, I need to investigate further though. Our utility trailer is recognized (blinking trailer turn sign on dash and reverse proximity disabled) but Our horse trailer isn't recognized and is annoying to reverse alarming and all (lights still work on trailer though) I would appreciate more clarification too, if not I'll just play with the ecu more.

3. xrp86

xrp86 Member

Did anyone figure this out?

everything works on mine BUT the right turn signal... tested fuese, followed wires and everything looks good.

im hoping it’s something I can program here with the gap tool..

4. xrp86

xrp86 Member

Turned out to be the female socket.. I punched the wire right befor the socket and ..

I still would like to know what to program the setting socket.

there’s one option “7 pin USA”

and many others ‍♂️

5. djkaosone

djkaosone '11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8

Mine has issues with LED trailers on 7 pin connectors. The tail lights don't stay on when the headlights are on, but EVERYTHING else works. I don't have any issues with regular incandescent bulb trailers.

If I was going to get an electric brake controller this is the one I would get, Tekonsha P3 with the Ford F150 connector. Another group that I'm in all swears its plug and play.

Brake controller, https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-901...ild=1&keywords=Tekonsha&qid=1593479551&sr=8-2

I think this is the adapter, https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-303...ld=1&keywords=Tekonsha&qid=1593479709&sr=8-16.

6. DonC

DonC Active Member

That is the one I am running with very good results for my RV. It was plug and play.

As for the GAP settings. Yes you want the 7 PIN for the USA. I also turned on Trailer Towing ball, tow bar, and the trailer stability assist since it was off.

If you are having issues with the LED lights there is a write here that I followed to help in getting that sorted. Adding to resisters to the towed vehicles turn signals fixed the issue with the LED equipped trailer not being detected.
    https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/trailer-light-question.28411/page-2#post-204232

xrp86 and djkaosone like this.