Transmission Fault 2006 LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mirepoixmatt

Reaction score
I have an 06 with 53K on it.. was buzzing down the New York State Thruway Yesterday doing only about 60 at the time and the Transmission Fault notice came on the dash. It beeped, then disappeared. This morning when I started her up, same thing. On, then off.

I feel no difference in the way she drives.

When I turn the car off, the message again is displayed.

I have a love hate relationship with this truck. Someone help me love it again.

Thoughts?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi;

This error is pretty unspecific with the truck. There is one common sensor that goes bad on the tranny. Often times a wiring problem or nick can cause problems. If you have the original battery, start there, interstate makes a decent one with 85m warranty Mega Tron Plus, MTP-H8

Some users have reported this problem with either a bad battery or with the gear shift linkage worn out / out of adjustment.

not related, but It is probably time to change your diff fluids and transfer case fluid, regardless of what the dealer says, all that snow and ice = moisture contamination.

This is about the extent without further details, based on the information provided.

Sergey

Reaction score
I had the same massage on starup for about two days. Tranny was replased at cost of $5000.00
First 3 gears ware gone...

LRB

Reaction score
Transmission replaced????

wow you are the first one I have ever heard that needed a new transmission. what milage did it go out and what year is the Lr3. Did you do any transmission fluid changes? please let us know...thanks

mirepoixmatt

Reaction score
Wow. I just soiled myself reading that I could need a new Tranny. I'll drive the car off a ravine before that happens but to be a tiny more specific about the problem...

The battery on the car was replaced about 8 weeks ago. The dealer swore I needed a new one and I finally caved. I kept the old one out of dignity.

When I start the car, the Transmision Fault light does NOT come on. It only comes on when I throw it in Drive. It does NOT come on when I throw it in reverse.

When it does appear, it's on for a second, then gone. It will then not reappear until I turn the ignition off... again for a second.

Again, truck seams to drive normally.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be very very suspicious of this, I really doubt a new transmission is needed. I am also confident any of the common issues can be repaired.

First off, ok, it it needs to be replaced, specifically what is wrong with it? These dealers are making money on commission, of course they'll sell you the most expensive route. It may be possible to find an independent shop to render an opinion, this transmission is the same or similar to most BMW, Ford, Jaquar so anyone who works on these will be familiar with their operation, maintenance and repair.

The most common issues (fault messages with no operational symptoms are almost exclusively traced to electrical or sensor errors. The most severe I have heard of, is someone with 1-3 gear worn out, another of many who needed a new torque converter.

I have even heard of a brake light bulb being out causing faults. PM me with your details and i'll find some suggested shops in your area to try.

Get a little more serious and assertive.

mirepoixmatt

Reaction score
Fault is gone. Here is how to fix. Drive Car to airport. Park it for 5 days. Go on business Trip. Return, and it should be gone like it was for me (????).

I have no clue, but the fault is no longer appearing. This truck is endless excitement.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outstanding, now you can hold your breath until the next fault.

Another thought occurred up there in NY with the salt, etc. A lot of folks have been having issues with the shift linkage. You might want to look at that, spray with some WD40, as a preventative measure, or replace the little inexpensive parts with it, and treat the new ones with anti-seize. This issue is usually associated with seemingly slipping in drive, and the gear indicator not working, or displaying incorrectly on the dash.

For sure it would be worth changing your front and rear diff fluid, and transfer case fluids up there in NY, a good chance you have moisture in your rear diff at least. Head that one off at the pass.

Sergey

Reaction score
my LR3 is 06 V8 had 130 000 on it.
no tranny fluids was don on it

delcoquito

Reaction score
Over the weekend my '07 LR3 would not get out of Park. The messages on the dash were "Transmission Fault Limited" & "Special Program Off" & "Suspension Fault" and instead of a D for drive an F was showing on the gears as well as the engine light being on.

Luckily I was able to use the manual emergency release to put the car into Drive and get to the dealer without needing to be towed, but the bottom line is all the problems were fixed with a new battery. If your battery is low this car lights up light a christmas tree and all the sensors go crazy causing severe problems.

CD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV