Transmission Fault after front strut replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Gissel

Reaction score
So this one has me stumped. I had a leaking front air strut. I ordered both front struts. After installing struts I went for a drive and found that one of the new struts caused a vehicle dynamics fault. (It was later determined to be a faulty strut.) I did a bonehead move and cleared the fault code while the engine was idling, and in drive. I’m not sure if these two events are related, but right after I cleared the code, I noticed that my transmission completely lost all forward gears. The fault code generated from that event was P0501-81.

What I’ve learned since this happened is that I failed to calibrate the steering angle sensor after the air strut installation. I have since recalibrated that, and still I have an intermittent loss of forward gears. I can clear the faults, and recalibrate the steering angle sensor, and I get about 1 mile of driving before the car becomes a brick.

Sorry for the long post, any help is appreciated at this point. I’m totally lost.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA