Transmission Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lucas

Reaction score
i have a 06 LR3 SE Gas V8 4.4L ive had a transmission Fault on the dash for a while, the car slams in to gear when performing Cali stops (Accelerating from a rolling stop), and the manual/Sport feature on the Gear Shifter does not work (basically doesn't register its in sport mode and just stays in automatic).

I was just wondering how to start with fixing all of this i have started the process with buying a new Floor Shifter Box any other suggestions or theories?? Please and Thanks

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is hard to give advice on your next steps without some more info.

Do you have a GAP IIDtool?
Have you read the error codes?
They may help narrow down your issues.
If you attempt any DIY with these, it is highly recommended that you get one.

- Could be as simple as needing new fluid, and a firmware update - and cleaning dirty contacts in the shift mechanism (any drink spills in that area?)

- More involved would be needing new valve body/solenoids - and a new shift mechanism

- Worst is obviously requiring a new transmission

Get some error codes and we can go from there!

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had basically the same issue with our 06 LR3. It progressively got worse and after debating over a year or so we finally decided to put a new transmission in. We've had it in a couple of years now and are glad we did it. We had 160k-ish miles on it.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 06 LR3 SE Gas V8 4.4L ive had a transmission Fault on the dash for a while, the car slams in to gear when performing Cali stops (Accelerating from a rolling stop), and the manual/Sport feature on the Gear Shifter does not work (basically doesn't register its in sport mode and just stays in automatic).

I was just wondering how to start with fixing all of this i have started the process with buying a new Floor Shifter Box any other suggestions or theories?? Please and Thanks

I had this but do not recall the solution. I am pretty sure it wasn't a new transmission though! "shifter box" ? The no sport mode symptom ought to be a tell for a rover tech to know what's wrong or at least where to start testing.

5crows

Reaction score
I was getting faults on an 06 LR3 HSE, but somewhat opposite where it would slip into neutral at rolling stops. However did loose Sport and Manual modes at times. Transmission faults sometimes. I decided to do the Transmission filter update kit, thought it made a difference, but it came back.

I discovered a significant symptom of the 'D' on the dash display at bottom of speedometer.. The 'D' would go out whenever the problem came up. I would put more pressure on the Shifter, to get it deeper into Drive, and D on dash would light up and I could drive again. That seemed mechanical at first.

A word to the wise... If you mess with the linkage lever, block your wheels, set parking brake, etc.

Transmission issues get you under the car a lot. One time I was on a very slight slope, just outside the garage, messing with adjustments. LR3 was in Park. After loosening the bolt on linkage lever, it doesn't take much pressure to move the lever between - Park, Reverse, Neutral and Drive - or loose track of which position it's in. Well it moved, suddenly ending in neutral position, I'm laying on my back and witness an optical confusion as the bottom of the LR3 is moving. The big heavy LR3 and gravity met. Luckily, I was able to scoot myself out and block a wheel. No serious injury, just a little road rash on a kneecap, a few prayers and some gin.

That delayed me working on it for a few days. Getting my courage back, I adjusted the linkage lever on it's cable to the console shifter, It's located on passenger side of transmission. This fixed the situation, but it would return. There's a rubber bushing inside the linkage connector that gums up with road crud from miles. It's supposed to rotate to allow cable to extend into the Park and Drive positions at opposite ends of it's travel. Anyway, I loosed the connector bolt and and then rotated that bushing and applied some lithium grease, to get it moving better. That also seemed to help for awhile.

Next trip under car to adjust linkage, I noticed an electronic connection behind the linkage lever, that appeared like it was not seated properly. It likely got unseated doing the initial transmission kit and all it's associated knuckle busting, but that's hard to pin down. In any case, I re-seated it, and no more transmission faults or dropping out of gear.

On the the next LR3 puzzle, a high pitched, and highly irritating whining noise under the hood, that's came now that I'm driving it again.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's your alternator if it's not a loose serpentine belt.

5crows

Reaction score
Thanks for tip. Not meaning to hijack thread, but noise seems to be up front on drivers side. Can belt be manually tightened, or has it just worn and stretched?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV