Transmission Fluid Flush using Oil Cooler Lines - Anyone done it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings. Recently, I've read about a process that some people are following when changing their ATF in these ZF 6HP transmissions. It consists of disconnecting the transmission lines at the oil cooler, having the outlet dump into a 5gal bucket and the input be connected to fresh fluid. The engine is started and then the transmission pump cycles the fluid through and you stop when you see fresh fluid coming out into the bucket(I could be getting some of this wrong but that's the gist). Has anyone tried this? It seems superior to a simple drain, as you get everything out of the torque converter, etc. You then follow the procedure with the proper fill procedure. Just wondering if internal lubricity is ever compromised but if you don't shift gears while doing this, it should(theoretically) be ok? Any thoughts welcome.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seriously wanted to do this and bought some of the home depot parts to do it but ran into two issues on my 2013 LR4:

1. The front driveshaft really needs to be removed to have room and, unlike any other 4x4/Jeep I have owned, it did not appear easy and obvious how to remove it.
2. The bracket that holds the cooler lines in on the LR4 is unlike those on the BMW's etc. on the Youtubes/website instructions for this and you would have to fabricate a bracket to hold your makeshift lines in or buy a BWM style one somewhere.
#2 was more trivial that #1 but the combined PITA factors made me just take it to a shop for a pan swap.

georgekale

Reaction score
Right way is factory way. Replace the pan with a new factory pan and ZF fluid. Flush is OK.
Notice the magnet holding steel filings, you won't get this out with a flush. pan is also the filter.

Attachments

• Trans service.jpg
    Trans service.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20190608_165105212.jpg
    IMG_20190608_165105212.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 39

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be clear, I'd still do the pan swap/drain. This just ensures that all the old fluid gets out of the system. Good to know about the driveshaft!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut