Transmission Flush opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D Morgan

Reaction score
I have been told by the BG rep it is safe to do their trans flush on my 12 LR4. It has 112k, and having worked for BMW for 20 years believe the "lifetime fluid change" theory on ZF transmissions to be garbage. Lifetime to what? A hampster? Anyway, my local JLR dlr says the proper way to do it is r&r pan, replace filter, reseal mechatronics, etc, all for 1800.00! I am not having any problems, just being proactive with service. Called another JLR dealer 100 miles away, they said drain and fill is fine, would cost about 400.00
Wondering what to do and if BG flush will actually cause problems or it's ok. The flush will get the fluid out of the torque converter vs. a drain and fill. I don't want to do this myself. Advise?

TrungH

Reaction score
You could have an independent LR shop do the pan replacement? For most of the people who DIY their transmission change, myself included, the pan and filter (OEM is one piece) is replaced with a separate pan and filter to make subsequent changes easier for either you or the indy shop.

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on good Indy LR Mechanic if you don't wanna yourself. If you did it yourself you could disconnect transmission cooler hose to run most of the old transmission fluid out as you flush.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 120k miles on my 2013. my independent is saying i may be opening a can of worms and the doing the flush cld cause leaks. thoughts?

D Morgan

Reaction score
You could have an independent LR shop do the pan replacement? For most of the people who DIY their transmission change, myself included, the pan and filter (OEM is one piece) is replaced with a separate pan and filter to make subsequent changes easier for either you or the indy shop.
Did you get the 2 pc pan/filter from Atlantic British?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be thorough you could do both. Flush followed by a pan replacement.

Rene Koesler

Reaction score
Took my 2016 LR4 to the local dealer for a 60K ****** service, wanting a "full service", but was told that it would cost about $ 1800.00 so I opted for just a "drain & refill" for $ 671.00. Holy crap! Did my transfer case, front & rear diff, and power steering fluids as well for a total of another
$ 1000.00! No wonder people don't do those services and just take a chance. Can't wait for something to really need fixing! And people like to say: "fluids are cheap compared to repairs"!

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For next time have a look at these and do it yourself. You’ll save quite a bit. Power steering is when I get back to LA.

At least you’ve based lined your fluids. So you know how it’s been driven and for how long.
Stu.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72