Transmission range change not available

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Albert

Reaction score
Transmission range change not available And special programs not available
I brought my 2008LR3 to the shop and they told me but I needed to replace the transfer case. Cost of replacement is $2300 could anyone with those code experiences please help me out

kl3vr

Reaction score
working on the same issue myself. so far I've checked:
the solenoid on the transfer case. checked resistance of the coil, checked for shorts to the solenoid case, and checked the wiring from the solenoid to the transfer case ECU. checked activation of the solenoid, seems all good. followed this thread for resistance values as well as some things to check first like alternator/battery https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/magna-transfer-case-troubleshooting-86760/

checked the transfer case motor function - though the service records show it was replaced not long ago. seems good
checked the transfer case ECU for corrosion, found some corrosion on the connectors but when I opened the case, the circuit board looked fine. Cleaned up the connectors but no improvement. Still, this is the recommended next thing to replace. a replacement ECU requires recalibration so I've ordered a GAP IIDtool rather than pay the stealer to do this. I have access to another ECU module for testing, just need to recalibrate it.

kl3vr

Reaction score
I would be suspicious of a blanket diagnosis of "replace the transfer case", what is their justification? did they give you codes? are they a Landrover specialty shop with a good reputation? Theres a bunch of electronics controlling the transfer case and Landrover's wiring is known to get corroded and cause all sorts of issues.

Paul Albert

Reaction score
I agree, that diagnosis To replace the transfer case with a used one for $2300 was a shot in the dark. I bit the bullet and went to the land rover dealer, they charged me $250 to diagnose the problem, the TCCM inop transfer warn on IPC trace found missing signal from TCCM transfer case control module. Also rodent damage to TCCM they cleaned the damage, also internal corrosion and damage on harness and connectors, a total of 4 hours to complete the repair. My final cost was $834. Moral of the story is sometimes it pays to go to an authorized land rover dealer. I’m back on the road again just in time for opening deer season

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news. In close to 25 years of owning Landrovers I believe 90% of the time problems are electrical. I'm really glad you didn't do that transfer case...

Paul Albert

Reaction score
For sure, I have had my share of electrical problems, most of which have been easy fixes

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV