Transmission Slop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
57k miles on my 2013.

I notice when I'm going about 75-85 mph on the highway, if I let off the power momentarily, and re-apply a normal amount of power I can feel the transmission/drivetrain slamming against itself.

Only happens when the fluid is warm, which makes me think it's time to change the fluid. It's also very hot here, about 105 outside temp. Not sure if this is a real issue or a fluid issue...

Thoughts?

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue as well since i took ownership of the truck at 31k Miles.....now it has 85k 5 years later. I think thats just how our transmissions behave honestly.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue as well since i took ownership of the truck at 31k Miles.....now it has 85k 5 years later. I think thats just how our transmissions behave honestly.

Mine has gotten a lot worse though. Can feel it in the seat, pretty badly. Definitely wasn't this bad before.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might check simple stuff like engine mounts, trans mount, driveshaft play etc before diving into the trans.

I concur. It seems that you have backlash from outside the transmission elsewhere in the drive train.

NeilP

Reaction score
In your climate , I'd be changing out the HP8 oil regardless . I just did mine and it's a considerable improvement , not to mention an extra 3mpg with the improved friction ! At the speed you mention this problem happening , that's unusual . Check universal joints and CV for starters . "Lash" is usually a wear and tear problem . Very obvious on manual boxes
on Defenders , to a point of being quite annoying .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV