Trip report, CO 2/28/10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We met in Southern CO Springs, where we jumped on hwy 115 south. We stopped in Penrose for a ***** break before heading west on Hwy 50. Once in Canyon city, we got off on dozier ave and followed it around until it connected to field ave and then with Cnty Rd 9. This road becomes Shelf Rd and we followed it's winding path thru the mountains overlooking a great stream. Made me want to go fishing, but it appeared to be all private.

We slowly made our way north and I wanted to stop for a few poser shots. I was hoping to get a picture showing how steep and deep the canyon was below us!

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

As we made our way further north, my wife spotted a hole in the rock.

DSC00007.jpg

Shortly there after, the other party in our convoy, Aaron, wanted to stop and take a look at a mine shaft. We walked in a few feet to find it had a wet bottom, and I was trying to get my camera to flash so that we could see deeper into the shaft, but it would no cooperate. Still got a good picture.

DSC00012.jpg

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As we exited the cave, we could see the other side of this hole in the rock. It doesn't look like your run-of-the-mill erosion hole.

DSC00008.jpg

We continued on our journey North and stopped in Cripple Creek, which is now a gambling town, with a rich history in precious ore mining. We were surprised to find that they were having their annual ice fest and many sculptures were on display along the main street. Here are my favorites.

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DSC00033.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

We then walked down to a restaurant called Ralf's Break Room. I was soooo looking forward to their woodfired pizza, but since Aaron's co-pilot needed to back to the big city, and the pizza took too long to cook, I settled for taco's and a cold beer. Both were excellent. It was in Cripple Creek that we parted ways so that Aaron could take the faster hwy back and my wife and I would continue on the backroads.

We drove down hwy 67 towards the town of Victor and along the way, took these awesome shots of the Sangre De Cristo Mountain Range. I grew up just on the other side of those, but it was amazing that we could see them that far away.

DSC00040.jpg

Past Victor a few miles is our turnoff to Gold Camp Rd. As we traveled East, there was a cool tunnel along the way.

DSC00044.jpg

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DSC00045.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

Here is a short video of our drive after the tunnel.

th_M4H00043.jpg

Finally, we needed another ***** break, so I drove up a spur road that I had been on the week prior, Eagle Rock. I knew we could drive in enough for privacy before the road got rough. We did our business and I took pictures prior to turning around.

DSC00047.jpg

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then a couple more poser shots on the way out of Eagle Rock.

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

The road from here was no longer unfamiliar as I had been up here three times in recent past. However, it was still new to my wife and she enjoyed the scenes. I stopped at a famous overlook with a neat view of Colorado Springs. This is a great spot when it's dark too as the city lights are nice from this vantage point. You really can't tell there is a city there in these pictures.

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

My goal was successful, in that I took my wife for a nice drive that she enjoyed and it wasn't too ******* her, being pregnant. What a great way to spend a day!

J.D.

-Whew, only 4 images per post?

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FANTASTIC PICTURES AND WRITE-UP!!!!! I used to live in Colorado Sprigs and have been on good 'ol Gold Camp Road a couple times years ago! Now I would liek to try it again in the LR!

Congrat's to you and your wife on your new child! Is this your first? We had our first baby boy 20mo ago...

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I like it here a lot. We lived in TX for three years, but other than that, we've always lived in CO.

yes, our first child and a boy as well!

J.D.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh a boy! Congrat's to you and your wife! Boys are fun! You get to relive your childhood and play trucks as long as he will go! Plus, the three sunroofs in the Landy really stimulate our boy and he jsut loves looking around adn around! Better then our old Touareg!

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! We're very excited. Looking forward to buying Tonka again, and playing right along with him.

J.D.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV