Trunk not opening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i started getting an issue where my trunk wouldn’t open at all when pressing the tailgate latch button by the license plate. I know there are forums on this exact issue, but my situation is different whereas i do not get any clicks or the sound of it opening. Others have mentioned that they hear the sound of the trunk releasing but nothing actually happens. That seems to be an error with the latch mechanism inside the tailgate. I’m thinking my issue is electrical. However almost always once i get into the car and drive a few feet and get back out the trunk opens normally. Also when pressing the trunk release on the key fob i’m getting the same issue, nothing happens.....please could anyone chime in?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i started getting an issue where my trunk wouldn’t open at all when pressing the tailgate latch button by the license plate. I know there are forums on this exact issue, but my situation is different whereas i do not get any clicks or the sound of it opening. Others have mentioned that they hear the sound of the trunk releasing but nothing actually happens. That seems to be an error with the latch mechanism inside the tailgate. I’m thinking my issue is electrical. However almost always once i get into the car and drive a few feet and get back out the trunk opens normally. Also when pressing the trunk release on the key fob i’m getting the same issue, nothing happens.....please could anyone chime in?
Replace actuator. I-Joy New Upper Tailgate FUG500010 Actuator for Genuine Land Rover LR3 LR4 Reliable Quatity and Reasonable Price https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QL82W4K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Qc1W8xRVazNXb

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was the actuator, then wouldn’t it at least make the clicking sound when pressing the button? Are you sure it’s not the actual rubber trunk button? I was thinking maybe there’s corrosion inside the button and it’s not making contact with the circuit when pressing the button?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to say without a multimeter. But at that cost it might be worth a try. My suggestion is based on my own experience doing it and a lot of others posting on it with lr3 and lr4 hatches with that problem. Ultimately you just need to get into it with a probable solution and assess the outcome and move forward. Or hire someone who can competently diagnose it.

mray

Reaction score
I had exact same issue. It was silent also and it was the actuator.

Crosboro

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my Discovery--turned out the battery was going bad. New battery and it works like it should.

kobLR4

Reaction score
Is the trunk supposed to pop/lift open upon pushing the tailgate latch button (or the key fob)? Or is it supposed to unlock only? I am a few weeks in on a 2016 LR4 and want to make sure I shore up any problems while I still have the warranty. When I use either button, it only unlocks.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned mine since new, and it has only ever unlatched and popped open an inch or so. It has never fully opened after just hitting the button.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut