Tyre Trek Swing Away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that design but the guy doesn’t really talk about it.

This video is better, anyone use these?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea to move it up, but it covers the rear recovery point which sucks. If you had to recover it what do you do? take the tire swing off? ooof!

I personally have never seen a hitch mount (single point of contact) tire swing that didn't jiggle around like a fat guy off road. My Tactical 4x4 rear swing bumper may be heavy but its functional, doesn't obstruct my rear recovery point and the tire/jerrycans are rock solid. The LR4 drags *** off road and I definitely want that rear recovery point available.

IMG_2150_HEIC-X3.jpg

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I have buddies with the rigid and dirtcom tire carriers. Both are built very solid with a 2" receiver that you can hang a hitch shackle on.

I have the rhino ox hitch and this makes the tire carrier sit too high. The short oem hitch would do a lot better, BUT you lose a lot of departure angle.

I ended up going with the Terrafirma swing carrier. It's sometimes a pain to get something "quick" out of the back.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just because you can put a shackle on it doesn't make it a suitable recovery point. more of a tow point and only for straight level pulls. Just be careful with that.

Rover Runner

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got so tired of looking for a good spare tire carrier that I built my won from a bicycle carrier rack. It works great on-road and off-road. Here's the link to the video.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously, IF you really want to move your spare from under the back, then you MUST use a proper
replacement rear bumper - steel, with a top quality pivot. Anything less will rattle, vibrate & eventually fail in the worst possible place. What do you do if it fails????? You've probably got
a full vehicle with gear etc & no room for a failed wheel carrier/spare wheel.

There are several brands of suitable gear available. Don't try to be cheap - buy the best you can
afford. I have an Aussie-made Kaymar steel rear replacement bumper with a very sturdy pivot
system. You can swing two wheels if you want, or one with jerry cans if required. I only run a single
wheel carrier & my rear camera still works well & rear access is quicker than needing to swing two
carriers to access the back of the vehicle. My Kaymar unit has NO vibration or movement on our
corrugated desert tracks. And the bar ensures the rear of my LR4 is much better protected than with
the standard rear bumper. It also enables an aux. fuel tank to be installed where the spare would
normally reside. I have a Brown Davis 110 liter aux. tank which more than doubles my driving range. Check out Kaymar's website. Designed & built in Melbourne, Australia.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does Kaymar have any US distribution? Otherwise there’s no way shipping a bumper makes sense from down under. Just curious as it’s something I’ve looked at but not if I gotta pay shipping from Oz.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several Aussie manufacturers sell a lot of product into the U.S. The exchange rate is great for
Americans right now & shipping costs are reasonable.
Check out www.kaymar.com.au
Maybe get a quote from Kaymar [email protected] even if they don't have a U.S.
distributor.
I've got a lot of gear from APT Offroad as well They supply direct to customers in the U.S. &
owner Ben Woodgate says he's never had a complaint from a U.S. client. The Aussie Dollar is
so cheap it makes the whole deal viable.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA