Tyre Trek Swing Away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree that T44 is not built or designed by engineers. Eric is a fabricator. (A very good one, his welds are **** AF). Which is why I went with an ARB front bumper. The rear bumper is basically going over the existing cross member/bumper so its not changing the crash safety aspect of the vehicle much if any. But on a front bumper... you need property airbag testing, crush cans, etc. The garage built plate bumpers are not tested anything near what ARB does. Good way to get your airbags to pop at the slightest impact. (impulse to frame will spike more aggressively and trigger the sensors in the car more easily)

I would imagine if any of them had/have a chance of being based on real engineering it is probably Kaymar since they have many more resources and products for various models. If you are in AUS i'd look there first (again, I have no experience with them, and even though I stood up for T44, that is mostly because I am in the U.S.)

I still think T44 is a great option for a rear bumper in the U.S.

I love Voyager stuff for Sliders (lighter than T44 which I sold recently) and roof racks and ladder. But I agree that the rear swing they have is not ideal.

Slight tangent, but here are the newly designed Voyager sliders with bolt on air compressor/tank guard. Much lighter than the T44 but plenty strong and the step is much larger and ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE more comfortable to step on and use. (the main reasons I changed was step comfort and weight). They were kind enough to make these for me custom but I imagine they would do it again on request. The fitment is perfect and they seem plenty strong but are not insanely overbuilt and heavy.

IMG_3105-X2.jpg

IMG_3115-X3.jpg

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the rhino ox hitch and this makes the tire carrier sit too high. The short oem hitch would do a lot better, BUT you lose a lot of departure angle.
Hey, can you clarify this? Wouldn't moving the carrier to a higher point, via the ox hitch, be better than having it on the OEM unit which hangs down however far? There's a Rigd multi-swing for sale near me so considering it and trying to figure out how low it would be on the OEM quick-receiver. This picture looks pretty good, with my matching wheel and everything.
IMG_2175_1200x.jpg

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
When I say it sits too high on the Rhino OX hitch, the hitch tire carrier will fit, BUT when the tire carrier swings open to access the trunk the tailgate hits the swing arm of tire carrier.

Oem short hitch reciever sits 6" lower and the the Rigd and dirtcom tire carriers work, because of the built-in raised angle clearance of the hitch. If you find a straight arm like wilco, that might work with the Rhino OX hitch. Still have my doubts, because the handle might hit the tailgate.

modesto_man

Reaction score
When I say it sits too high on the Rhino OX hitch, the hitch tire carrier will fit, BUT when the tire carrier swings open to access the trunk the tailgate hits the swing arm of tire carrier.

Oem short hitch reciever sits 6" lower and the the Rigd and dirtcom tire carriers work, because of the built-in raised angle clearance of the hitch. If you find a straight arm like wilco, that might work with the Rhino OX hitch. Still have my doubts, because the handle might hit the tailgate.
Revisiting this thread. Can you confirm if the tailgate hits the support arm of the carrier when using the rhino ox hitch?

Last edited:

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Revisiting this thread. Can you confirm if the tailgate hits the support arm of the carrier when using the rhino ox hitch?
I had the Yakima Swingback and the arm hits the tailgate. Tire carriers with the raised arm like these images will hit the tailgate.

1704215687496.png
1704215742713.png

If you want, I can take some measurements between the hitch and tailgate when I get home. Just looking at the picture, I'm guessing there's about 4" between the top of the hitch to the bottom of the open lower tailgate.

1704215923988.png

modesto_man

Reaction score
I had the Yakima Swingback and the arm hits the tailgate. Tire carriers with the raised arm like these images will hit the tailgate.

View attachment 24201View attachment 24202

If you want, I can take some measurements between the hitch and tailgate when I get home. Just looking at the picture, I'm guessing there's about 4" between the top of the hitch to the bottom of the open lower tailgate.

View attachment 24203
Thanks for the details! No need to measure, this will do it for me.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA