Ugh, New LCA's are just junk!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kilkenny

Reaction score
Not going to say who I ordered them from...yet.

Two problems. One, the shock holes don't line up. Here's what I mean, if you look through the long 'tubed' hole, it should line up perfectly with the stamped hole on the other end of the shock mount. It doesn't, it's about 1/8-3/16" off. I could get the long bolts in there, but it would start to bend and would need to be hammered to get it all the way through. I'm not a big fan of making things fit.

Second problem, the two bushing mounts that connect to the frame don't line up with each other either. I can see that one of them is slightly twisted. If I install this, it will probably lead to premature bushing failure.

I've compared these to my oem pieces and they are perfect. On one hand I'm just venting, on the other I'm wondering if anyone here has installed a new pair that were like this. I haven't installed them yet as I'm waiting to hear back from the vendor.

kilkenny

Reaction score
Aftermarket. Shouldn't make a difference though. Lining up holes is a basic process when making parts like this. I actually bought these from a company that was mentioned on this site.

PhyrraM

Reaction score
I agree. A company making a product should be making a quality one.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the sides are correct? No two control arms on the LR3s are the same...all are asymmetrical.

kilkenny

Reaction score
Are you sure the sides are correct? No two control arms on the LR3s are the same...all are asymmetrical.

First of all, this has nothing to do with fitment on the car. It has to do with the part as it is and it exists for both sides. If you take the long shock bolt and simply try to run it through the control arm while it's sitting on the floor, it will not go through. The bolt will need to bend for it to fit through the entire length of the tube portion.

I've been working around cars for 25 years. I've unassembled and reassembled a couple of Mustangs over that time period. I'm also an engineer.

I did talk with the guy at the parts store. He said sometimes you have to make things work. He recommended a forceful way of getting the shock bolt through the arm. No way will I do that. I ended up filing an 1/8" off the control arm hole thereby moving the hole and then laid a welding bead on the other side and filed that down. Now the hole lines up perfectly. So I won't have to deal with extra undo stress on the parts.

I swear people just don't understand how things are meant to work. Let's just force it together and it will be fine? Uh uh. :stupid: I'd like to find a parts supplier that stands behind the parts they sell.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swear people just don't understand how things are meant to work. Let's just force it together and it will be fine? Uh uh. :stupid: I'd like to find a parts supplier that stands behind the parts they sell.
I agree. Generally I'd only go OEM for control arms. Only exception is the custom upper front control arms on my Liberty, to help with the lift. :biggrin:

But glad you found a solution!

kilkenny

Reaction score
The brand is Allmakes 4x4. I've sent them an email about this part and my issues.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used the Allmakes before. The fitment was not an issue for me, however I personally didn't not like the bushings that were installed. However, it is obviously a cheaper alternative to OEM, and there are times that that is all that matters to customers, even if they last half as long as OEM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72