Ultimate Towing Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Kinsler

Reaction score
Team,

Thought it would be great to have a single thread with a bunch of info on towing and specifically photos of people's tow setup. Rig, length, weight, hitch used, etc.

I am installing my tow items and searching for my Travel Trailer now and will post when secured. Would love to see photos of others rigs and tow items here in the mean time.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old photo, but this was my 26' Sea Ray bow rider. Dual axel trailer with hitch actuated trailer brakes. LED lights that worked, but didn't have enough current draw to trip the trailer mode on the LR4.

Weight must have been just about 7,000 lbs. I used the factory hitch setup. The second photo is the same boat/lr4 but when i added my Tactical 4x4 rear bumper.

IMG_20160612_100712-X2.jpg

IMG_20170816_110054-X3.jpg

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow around a 19' jet boat that comes in at about 4200 lbs on the trailer. Stock hitch & wiring. Tows it great, I've had 7 people in the car + more gear in the boat, and it did well with 117 degree temps.

Honestly the sketchiest part is I swear this car can outturn the trailer (going forward) and jackknife it.

Ryan00TJ

Reaction score
Resized_20200811_112628.jpeg
Resized_20200811_112628.jpeg
Resized_20200811_112358.jpeg

Our 29' Velocity. 4500lbs dry, trailer is another 1000lbs. Hyd surge brakes. Stock LR hitch setup. I tow the boat with wife's LR4 and my 5.3 Sierra. While the 5.3 V8 makes more hp and torque, it's all above 4400rpms+. The torque curve on the SCV6 is stronger at anything below 4000rpms and towing really confirms that. The Sierra has a wider track and longer wheelbase vs LR4. Boat feels more planted and less subject to steering changes with the Sierra. Stock LR4 mirrors are not wide enough. Overall the LR4 is better long tow vehicle due to comfort and power.

BigBlue

Reaction score
will be towing an Airstream trailer when it's done being renovated. I notice that you previous posters are all using what looks like the stock side view mirrors. Anyone have any experience with the ClearView replacement towing mirrors? I was going to get them installed but my local repair shop tells me that installing them may require a program reset available to dealerships - and they can't tell whether my LR4 will require it or not, which may disable the assist functions I currently have!

Dwelce

Reaction score
I use my 2015 LR4 to tow my 2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE. Currently using the stock hitch receiver and no weight distribution. I use a Curt Echo wireless break control and love it. I use a WeighSafe hitch with built in scale and my tongue weight is right about 600/650lbs and overall weight of the trailer is 6,000/6,100lbs...that's loaded for a trip but with only about 25% fresh water in the fresh tank. Black/Gray tanks empty.

I'm in the process of reweighing the whole setup as one of the last trips my Cat ticket showed 4,400 on the rear axle which is over the limit. My current guess is that the specific Cat scale I went to may have been off?? I did weigh just the LR4, full tank of gas, wife, kids, a bit of cargo at a different Cat scale and my rear axle was at 3380lbs. Next step is to hook up the trailer and weigh again. Given my tongue weight is 600 (sometime 650lbs depending on how I load) I should be within the rear axle weight.

What I'd really like to know is how all these weights play out on a new Discovery/Discover 5. Land Rover claims that it's up to 1,000lbs lighter than the LR4 and the states payload capacity of the new Discovery is more than the LR4 as well.

pic2.JPG

pic1.JPG

Chris Robert

Reaction score
I'm doing great towing a 23" trailer with my 2016 LR4, but I'm getting beyond terrible gas mileage. I'm pulling over every 2 hours to refuel, and it makes long trips a lot longer.

Any suggestions on how to improve that? Whether it's additives, or tune up, or driving style, I'm looking for anything that will help.

Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV