Upper Control Arm Striking air shock Phenomenon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of us have read about the condition in which a worn out shock no longer limits wheel travel and the UCA strikes it and can puncture the metal and airbag....

...anyone ever hear of this happening with stock sized tires?

My 2006 has way worn out shocks. We were on a beat up forest service road Saturday when I realized just how bad....but no striking of the UCA.

Theory: LR designed for this, and only the additional unsprung weight of a larger tire causes the interference.

Thoughts???

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran my struts to maybe 120-140k so I'm sure they were well worn out considering the weight. I think only one front air spring aluminum case had a slight scrape on it. The whole "puncture" thing sounds more like a one time thing for some odd reason or maybe just not relevant to USA builds.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it happened to me....and another guy in So Cal. I'm onboard with the "Multiple Failures" theory in which the ARB bushings were also toast.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi