V8 LR4 - Ticking Noise at Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gypsy

Reaction score
Mostly apparent when the vehicle is cold. It is less noticeable when the vehicle is warm.

Timing chain guides have not been done. The truck is a 2012 LR4 HSE Luxury Limited with all options including HD package and rear seat entertainment. It took me a while to find one with all these options so I'm hoping the engine isn't about to go or something!

It has only 67,000km (41k miles) on it and it was just serviced at an LR specialty shop using OEM or better fluids etc.

gypsy

Reaction score
Hard to tell for sure, but it sounds external to the engine. Could be the fan clutch.

It definitely seems external. I've read of the fan clutch noise issues as well so I'm hoping that's the case.

Thank you for your opinion.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people also describe a "ticking" from the fuel injectors.

Can't say how the timing chain noise sounds early on, but I have heard one with the issue fully developed.

It is an unmistakable knock-knock-knock....

I have done the same on mine. I was convinced I was hearing timing chain issues so I went by my Indies shop. He had me start it and gave it a good listen and then smiled and said he heard nothing. He asked if I had ever heard one with the issue, and when I responded "no" he went to get the keys to a Sport he had in the shop. He started the engine and it was an immediate knock-knock-knock that you would not confuse with any normal sound coming from under the hood.

Jermgallo

Reaction score
I have a 2011 LR4 lux and mine does that as well. My mechanic told me it was the injectors and was common for that engine. This is my first Rover to own so I have been very nervous about anything I hear lol.

mystrsmith

Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4 HSE Luxury as well, my engine sounds exactly the same. sure would like to know how to fix it.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking fan clutch as well. Replaced mine around 90K miles and that noise was gone.

Steve T

Reaction score
My 2011 HSE Lux has the same noise....seems like everyone I know that has one from 2010-2012 has the same issue (noise), must be a Rover thing? Ive put over 70K on mine since I've owned it with that noise and no issues ... Fingers crossed :)

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a ticking time bomb lol. Relax, turn up the tunes and ignore.

afour_98

Reaction score
I have a 2010 HSE which had a similar sound. The sound went away once we replaced the fuel injectors and HPFPs. But this was at 205k miles, so the sound wasn't the only thing wrong (some injectors were fouled and the HPFPs were leaking into the block). Now it runs like a new engine again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV