very sudden loud clicking and fan noise... is my rover near death?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On another note, why are the fan clutches for these cars so expensive? I'm used to Behr clutches for other cars being ~$100. ***.

fireangel1313

Reaction score
I have a 2013 (130k miles) and had the ticking/clicking noise start happening on cooler days. It only happens for a few minutes then goes away. It drove me nuts so I replaced it when I replaced the water pump, cross over, etc. and it seemed to stop for a little bit, however, it was generally warmer. Then it started up again and I almost lost my mind. I won't bore you with additional details and get to the point...so I finally did some research and found that with an Electronic Viscous clutch this "clicking" noise is somewhat normal...see below.

According to haydenauto.com:
Electronic-Viscous Fan Clutch Troubleshooting
During engine start up, the EV fan clutch will engage and match engine speed for up to 3 minutes. This is considered normal and may last more than 3 minutes in cooler climates or at lower driving speeds resulting in fan roar. This condition will cease shortly upon disengagement. Additionally, you may hear an audible “clicking” sound when the vehicle is stationary. These conditions are normal and should cease once the fan clutch disengages.

IMPORTANT:
•Do NOT replace EV fan clutch unless a specific issue is identified by proper SI (Service Indicator / Check Engine) diagnosis.
•Do NOT replace an EV fan clutch for fan noise.
•Do NOT replace an EV fan clutch unless a specific condition related to the EV fan clutch is identified using SI diagnostics. If the EV fan clutch has a condition that warrants replacement, a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) should set and/or SI diagnostics should lead to the replacement of the fan clutch.
•Do not attempt to replace EV Fan Clutch without proper tools. Please refer to manufacturer requirements for proper tools and replacement.

I also found that because I didn't purchase an OEM fan/clutch when I replaced my old one that there may be some communication issues between the PCM and clutch, therefor causing the clutch to click.
I have not had one issue with either of the two fans I have had installed. So I believe there is truth to what Hayden Auto says about the clicking sound. So I'm at the point where I'm just going to live with the sound, which doesn't occur very often, rather than buy a $300+ new OEM fan. There may be something I can do about the communication problem but not too concerned about it since the fan operates effectively.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi