Vibration and grinding feeling

Discussion in 'LR3' started by 06L319, Jul 10, 2019.

1. 06L319

06L319 Member

2006 LR3 V8 w/146k. For the past month I have a vibration/grinding feel in the steering wheel and pedals when lightly on the gas or coasting below 40 MPH along with a slight howling sound. Seems to be getting worse every few days. Both front wheel bearings and DS cv axle have been replaced with no change. Brakes are all good and truck drives straight and smooth. Front diff was replaced with a low mileage unit last fall and was quiet when installed. Rear diff, TCase and tranny are all original but show no signs of excessive wear in the fluids. The driveshaft center carrier has no tears in the rubber and the bearing seams fine. Thoughts?

2. Houm_WA

Houm_WA Full Access Member

....could it just be your tires???

3. 06L319

06L319 Member

Dont think so. New Duratracs installed 3 months prior to the issue. Were smooth and quiet.

4. Gnomad

Gnomad Active Member

It sounds to me like the rear diff is going, it's what the wife's LR3 was doing. The symptom you have that she didn't was the vibration felt through the steering wheel. I replaced the diff and that fixed it.

5. 06L319

06L319 Member

I'm going to replace the passenger side front cv axle and see if there is any change. That one is still original. It's easy and they are not expensive.