Vibration and grinding feeling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06L319

Reaction score
2006 LR3 V8 w/146k. For the past month I have a vibration/grinding feel in the steering wheel and pedals when lightly on the gas or coasting below 40 MPH along with a slight howling sound. Seems to be getting worse every few days. Both front wheel bearings and DS cv axle have been replaced with no change. Brakes are all good and truck drives straight and smooth. Front diff was replaced with a low mileage unit last fall and was quiet when installed. Rear diff, TCase and tranny are all original but show no signs of excessive wear in the fluids. The driveshaft center carrier has no tears in the rubber and the bearing seams fine. Thoughts?

Gnomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like the rear diff is going, it's what the wife's LR3 was doing. The symptom you have that she didn't was the vibration felt through the steering wheel. I replaced the diff and that fixed it.

06L319

Reaction score
I'm going to replace the passenger side front cv axle and see if there is any change. That one is still original. It's easy and they are not expensive.

eloist

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I ran some Duratracs on a Bronco i had a while back. Didn't rotate them enough and they quickly started vibrating and chopping all over the road. Of course, the Bronco is a massive truck, so the uneven wear isn't surprising. My point is: those Duratracs are soft, and go quickly.

All that said, this does sound like a mechanical issue and not tires. Best of luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72