Vibration when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsm

Reaction score
I have noticed a problem with my LR3. When cruising down the highway at 70 mph I notice that when i gently accelerate to 75 the car has a noticeable (not violent) vibration from either the engine, transmission, or something, that lasts for a few seconds then goes away. It sort of feels like I am driving over ruts in the road. But if I push the accelerator down with authority as if to overtake someone there is no vibration. It only happens at speeds of around 70 mph. Otherwise the truck is a pure joy to own and drive.

Any clues as to what this may be?

Thanks.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gasoline in your tank may be less than 91 octane. The ONE time I tried 89 octane gas (after the E10 blends went into effect) it did exactly the same as yours. Lesson learned.

As soon as you can get a refill, it will be better. Here in PA, we use 93.

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The solution is clearly that you should always push down on that accelerator with authority!!!!

:driver:

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ ^ Haha, "Respect my authority!". Unfortunately, the more you push down, the more engine vibration and resistance occurs under this condition.

Michael99b

Reaction score
I have the EXACT same issue when accelerating slowly from 65 or 70 mph. Once you get past the initial rumble, it accelerates normally. The problem seems worse when on a slight incline. I have 30k miles and the problem just started last week. I have been using 93 octane It does feel like an octane issue similar to something we all had in our mid 70's american cars, but I seriosuly doubt that the octane is an issue since my octane has always been 93. Anyone have a similar issue and get it diagnosed and fixed correctly?

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have had the same issue. it is fairly minor, but it drives me frickin' nuts. i have always used 93 octane as well. i am taking my lr3 to the dealer in a couple weeks for another lovely land rover experience. i can't wait! we'll see what they say regarding the accelerator issue as well as how much grease and grime they can manage to track all over my alpaca interior.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This could all be related to the E10 blend. I never experienced this until after the gas formula changed to 10% ethanol. Also had the rough cold start issue earlier this year.

I'll try to call the dealer today to see of there is a TSB related to these symptoms, and will post any response later.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've never used anything but 87 octane and never had this problem. I did have a similar problem in my old RR, which turned out to be a sticking valve issue. Always happened between 65 and 70. But LR usually designs this to start happening at 49 months or 51000 miles...

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, service advisor said he has not had any reports of this acceleration/vibration issue. I find that odd, but I do trust this advisor.

Michael99b

Reaction score
I was on a long highway drive yesterday so I tried to make cause the vibration under different circumstances. In automatic, it only occurs at 60 mph or over when you accelerate moderately...and if you keep it accelerating moderately, it keeps vibrating. If you push just a bit harder on the accelerator, it goes away (since the trans downshifts to passing gear). It doesn't happen in automatic sport mode at all. When in the triptronic thing, it only happens when in 6th gear. It's completely annoying. I'm generally driving between 65-75 and need to increase speeds intermittently (to pass a Range Rover or something) and the vibrating drives me nuts. If anyone knows the cause and solution, please let me know. FYI, I previously had the lag/boom issue at a rolling stop, but that went away FINALLY, when the dealer performed a software update. This new issue started AFTER the software update, I wonder if there is a correlation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA