Vibration when I take my foot OFF the gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3 HSE, 130K.

Drives fine. I have noticed for the last couple months that at highway speeds, there is a noticeable vibration only when I remove my foot from the gas. I apply throttle, it is smooth as usual. I don't think this is something that passengers would notice, but I can feel it in the steering wheel and actually hear it a little bit.

Is this something I should have checked or our look at myself or is this just normal u-joint wear or something. I actually did not notice it until my tires were rotated, but I'm not sure if that is a coincidence.

It seems like one of those nuances that a service tech may have trouble reproducing. I hear it every time, but they may not drive fast enough on the highway or it could be a vibration I am just tuned into.

Thanks,

-Todd

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like loose bushings? Perhaps when the initial acceleration is let off slowing the truck down, the bushing have more weight on them causing movement? Just a thought..

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem may be front wheel bearings (hub unit) or something else loose in the power train, such as drive shaft joints, cv joints, and so on.

I would lean toward the bearings if you have not changed them before.

This is unrelated, but I will bring it up anyway. Have you changed your differential fluids every 25k or so. Your transfer case oil and your transmission fluid? If not you need to do that yesterday.

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem may be front wheel bearings (hub unit) or something else loose in the power train, such as drive shaft joints, cv joints, and so on.

I would lean toward the bearings if you have not changed them before.

This is unrelated, but I will bring it up anyway. Have you changed your differential fluids every 25k or so. Your transfer case oil and your transmission fluid? If not you need to do that yesterday.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I have kept up with the recommended LR service. I'm not sure where diff fluids fall in that but I do know they have been changed.

I had them peek at my CV joints and bushings last time I was in, but nothing else.

Do you think this is an urgent thing signaling a failure, or wear and tear I can let go until I'm in there for my next scheduled service?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you should diagnose, have it diagnosed and effect repairs. Of course any vibration is going to effect handling, and wear other components and so on.

The LR recommended service is not adequate in the case of diffs, transfer case or transmission. For example, LR states, the transmission is "sealed for life" and therefore is not due for a service until 150k miles, however the fluid is actually only rated for 75k miles. This equates to changing your oil ever 25k miles or so. On the diffs, the oil quantity is very low, and both diffs are prone to contamination. As a result bearings fail. The oil should be changed ever 20-25k miles or so. The front diff also has an updated breather to prevent pressure build up and cause seal failure, per their own TSB. The transfer case should have oil changed at least every 50k or so.

These issues have all been extensively discussed here on the forums.

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had LR look at it when I brought it in for my 127.5K service.

The tech was able to see/hear the noise and said it is my front differential assembly, $2143 if I want it replaced. Not dangerous to keep driving on it, though. (It is pretty minor, I'm the only one who notices it).

Now, as some of the other suggestions in this post mentioned other items, they also said I need front left tie rods, front bushings, and rear sway bar bushings replaced. So maybe they all contribute?

Still open to any feedback or advice. Thanks.

I'll ask them about changing the front differential oil in lieu of a replacement (and I'll get the other suspension work done somewhere...maybe not at the dealer).

-Todd

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Assembly?" What else is that besides the differential itself? The front diff costs about 1/4 of that for the part...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Assembly?" What else is that besides the differential itself? The front diff costs about 1/4 of that for the part...
Yeah, I found that out.

I'm just going to go with the diff oil change for now.

I finally found a non-dealer service shop around me that has been well reviewed. So the repairs should seem like much less of an ass ******. :)

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to rebuild it PM me, I can square you away at a fraction of that 2k.

blackadder

Reaction score
I have the same issue and facing a replacement/rebuild in the future. Curious if you hear a high pitched whine at highway or greater speeds. Mine starts at about 75 and continues to get louder as speed increases. I was told by mechanic that that was indicative of the differential going bad.

I have had the rear replaced, found metal shavings on drain plug. I am sure if I looked at the front it would be the same.

I think this is a pretty common issue. BTW, I have a 2006 HSE.

Would be interested to know about rebuild parts. If you don't mind I may PM you later.

Thanks,

John

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV