Voyager powder coat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sent an email already to them and I am hoping they will make this right.

I had heard (After I ordered these) that the powder coat was bad on Voyager products. Turns out that is true.

Ordered these last summer. One winter later.

IMG_20140516_143107_zpsa0b5ed09.jpg

IMG_20140516_143137_zps7c9bcaa4.jpg

So I will have to take them off and get them stripped down and re-powder coated. I think this is pretty unacceptable. They were brand new as of mid-summer less than a year ago.

The ladder that I bought from a forum member is also rusting like mad, especially the 'voyager' letters cut out in the first step.

Lets hope they make it right.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I wasnt too pleased with my Voyager experience. When they shipped my Rock Sliders to me, it was via USPS Priority Mail (only option at an APO address). We knew the USPS size restrictions would not allow them to keep them in boxes. So I had asked them to generously wrap it in plastic wrap. A lot of shipping companies do this and it holds up extremely well! To my dismay, they showed up wrapped in what amounted to a single layer black plastic trash bag. This of course tore in multiple places and the sliders were scratched and marked to **** all the way down to the metal all over the place.

Because of the bag tear, I assume the mounting hardware bolts had also been lost (or they never shipped them in the first place). The bad part was that it took Voyager ages to respond to email and when they did, they didn't even comment on the shipping damages but did promise to ship new hardware. The hardware never showed up and I ended up purchasing some SS bolts / washers online. Hell, I am in the Middle East... I can't just pop up to Home Depot for this $hit.

I also ended up paying a local garage to respray the sliders out of my own pocket.

So yea, overall.. not too pleased with them!

Attachments

• 20131216_153411.jpg
    20131216_153411.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 38

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I wasnt too pleased with my Voyager experience. When they shipped my Rock Sliders to me, it was via USPS Priority Mail (only option at an APO address). We knew the USPS size restrictions would not allow them to keep them in boxes. So I had asked them to generously wrap it in plastic wrap. A lot of shipping companies do this and it holds up extremely well! To my dismay, they showed up wrapped in what amounted to a single layer black plastic trash bag. This of course tore in multiple places and the sliders were scratched and marked to **** all the way down to the metal all over the place.

Because of the bag tear, I assume the mounting hardware bolts had also been lost (or they never shipped them in the first place). The bad part was that it took Voyager ages to respond to email and when they did, they didn't even comment on the shipping damages but did promise to ship new hardware. The hardware never showed up and I ended up purchasing some SS bolts / washers online. Hell, I am in the Middle East... I can't just pop up to Home Depot for this .

I also ended up paying a local garage to respray the sliders out of my own pocket.

After you got it resprayed did it hold up? Powdercoat or just paint?

I have bubbles all over them, underside, you can tell its just all rust under the powdercoat. I started at it, started taking off powdercoat and its a mess, im going to have to leave them to get sand blasted.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my old Voyager half-rack and it was 6 months old and only saw rain - no snow or anything. I even used a carnuba wax and UV protector, but I still had a lot of chipping and rust.

I did not have the Voyager sliders on my 2011, but I know someone who did and he had them sand blasted and powder coated again because of the same issues.

Almost 1 year later and my Urban Offroad rack is still rock solid - and it has been scratched up in a few places by brush.

PS.... remember I posted about my Voyager off-road ladder last year? I had it on my 2011 I traded in. This is exactly why I said I hated the Voyager ladder - it had so many rust spots that I actually repainted the whole thing. In addition, it never actually fit right without a bit of modification.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Because of the bag tear, I assume the mounting hardware bolts had also been lost (or they never shipped them in the first place). The bad part was that it took Voyager ages to respond to email and when they did, they didn't even comment on the shipping damages but did promise to ship new hardware. The hardware never showed up and I ended up purchasing some SS bolts / washers online. Hell, I am in the Middle East... I can't just pop up to Home Depot for this .

When they sent my half-rack and ladder for my 2011 it was packaged HORRIBLY and missing most of the hardware. I actually ended up getting my own bolts, etc. as the ones they did provide were complete crap.

This is where Tactical 4x4 is superior, as my sliders from them are made so well, powder coated to a T, and the hardware they provided was top grade!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removed the ladder today.
IMG_20140517_112146_zps6b309fbb.jpg

Seems like I will have to refinish all of this stuff. I am strongly considering selling the sliders (after I fix them up to make sure nobody else has this issue) and getting the larger Tactical sliders. It seems that Finlay's truck is somehow kindred with mine. We must continue to copy each other I guess. **** that means I have to do the ARB bumper also... ;)

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After you got it resprayed did it hold up? Powder coat or just paint?

I have bubbles all over them, underside, you can tell its just all rust under the powdercoat. I started at it, started taking off powdercoat and its a mess, im going to have to leave them to get sand blasted.

I had mine re-powdercoated. They have held up great, but it's only been about 6 months.

It's a shame their great metalwork (which is the point of this hardware) is ruined by seemingly shoddy powder coat and **** poor customer service.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removed the ladder today.
IMG_20140517_112146_zps6b309fbb.jpg

Seems like I will have to refinish all of this stuff. I am strongly considering selling the sliders (after I fix them up to make sure nobody else has this issue) and getting the larger Tactical sliders. It seems that Finlay's truck is somehow kindred with mine. We must continue to copy each other I guess. **** that means I have to do the ARB bumper also... ;)
I am not surprised at all about the ladder, I had such problems with mine. I think once you have it re-powder coated, it will be fine. Have you heard from Voyager at all?

If you do go the Tactical route, let me know - I have some advice to help out (as well as others on this forum).

Oh, and if you do go with the ARB, let me know! :) HAHA!

I would love to see another forum member install the front ARB and get their thoughts. I also have a lot of lessons learned from that experience, but it's well worth it.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a call back from Mike at Voyager. They are going to strip them down and redo the finish for me. They said they are surprised I am having these issues. They use US steel and zinc coatings and rust inhibitors and such.

They said they might double down on the rust prevention stuff to see if that helps. I didnt have any rock damage or gravel dings or anything in the coating, so I dont think I compromised the coating to cause this. The salt they use on the roads here just must be really bad. I might actually look into adding a coating on top once I get it back, like stick on plastic or plastidip, or something to protect it further.

So I will ship it back to them and see how it goes. They are being very helpful and stand behind the products, so I think that is great.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a call back from Mike at Voyager. They are going to strip them down and redo the finish for me. They said they are surprised I am having these issues. They use US steel and zinc coatings and rust inhibitors and such.

They said they might double down on the rust prevention stuff to see if that helps. I didnt have any rock damage or gravel dings or anything in the coating, so I dont think I compromised the coating to cause this. The salt they use on the roads here just must be really bad. I might actually look into adding a coating on top once I get it back, like stick on plastic or plastidip, or something to protect it further.

So I will ship it back to them and see how it goes. They are being very helpful and stand behind the products, so I think that is great.
That's awesome!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV