Voyager Rack Ladder Nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my LR4 I noticed some rust on the rear ladder for the voyager rack where it mounts under the lift gate switch housing. I just assumed I would take it off and Powdercoat it. Well it was a nice sunny day today and I thought I’d take it off, what a nightmare! The steel was rusted so bad that it was in rusted paper thin layers.... bolts and nut inserts on the lift gate switch housing are now broken. The lift gate is in bad shape, and i tried cleaning it up but it still needs some further attention. I am now left shaking my head trying to figure out where to go from here....

East coast winter and road salt suck.....

d3e27ddf2802d1e469026d1f274657d6.jpg

da7abf05d9e91dec64b3a63e93b6caa3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I originally was going to install one these when I lived in California and it would have probably been ok then. I am now on the east coast and would never do it for this very reason. Sorry, I would probably sand it down, apply some rust bonding agent, prime and paint.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the look of the stock ladder position (regardless of whether the ladder is OEM or aftermarket). But I’ve seen enough images like this to worry about hidden rust. At least with the ladder I have mounted on the other side, I can see what’s going on at all the attachment points and can sleep at night. Sorry to see this.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am never a fan of compromising the body shell. Is the ladder much of an improvement over standing on the tailgate or the tire?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my voyager ladder from 2013 did the same and I sent it back to them to get it stripped and redone. It's been better this time around. My sliders from the same time did rust very badly. I think they just didn't (or still don't, not sure) do a very nice job with powder coat and didn't have enough zinc.

I still like the voyager sliders a lot though and the ladder. I might actually get another set of sliders soon because the t44 are a little overkill most of the time.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're only 9 hrs away from me if you plan on selling the t44 sliders lol

I can let you know.

I have the transfer case skid and gas tank skids too. They are all in great shape still. The one spot on the gas tank inner side was repaired. I had them coated with that zincnation coating and then powder coated.

I may put them up for sale, but a friend with an LR3 in florida has dibs on them. If he passes I can post on the forums about it. I am mixed on if I should sell them. They are probably the best all around skid setup, and I do use my LR4 on some tough trails, but I just get so heavy on my trips that I have started going with fewer skids. I just have to be much more careful. If I had the weight budget I'd keep them. It's is pretty nice to be able to drag her fat ass over just about anything and not worry about the gas tank or getting hung up on the cross members.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can let you know.

I have the transfer case skid and gas tank skids too. They are all in great shape still. The one spot on the gas tank inner side was repaired. I had them coated with that zincnation coating and then powder coated.

I may put them up for sale, but a friend with an LR3 in florida has dibs on them. If he passes I can post on the forums about it. I am mixed on if I should sell them. They are probably the best all around skid setup, and I do use my LR4 on some tough trails, but I just get so heavy on my trips that I have started going with fewer skids. I just have to be much more careful. If I had the weight budget I'd keep them. It's is pretty nice to be able to drag her fat ass over just about anything and not worry about the gas tank or getting hung up on the cross members.

That is the exact setup I am looking for, but I hear you with the weight. Have you looked at lk8 aluminum gas tank skid and asfir/prospeed to save the weight?

Quick thread derail for the gas tank skid--does it fit over the existing plate, or do you remove the stock plate. If you remove it, I am guessing that the tank has its own mounts and is not held up by the skid, right?

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_5695.JPG
View attachment 12498 I mentioned this before but my experience with their steps/slides was awful. They would not stand behind their product (besides offering a similarly bad paint job with no offer to pick up the massive shipping charge) and I ended up removing them and effectively throwing them away. I had the area professionally fixed (primed/painted). Luckily for me it was an area not exposed/visible. Safe to say that I'd never get anything from them. The photo is from when I removed them after less than 3 years and well under 20k miles.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the exact setup I am looking for, but I hear you with the weight. Have you looked at lk8 aluminum gas tank skid and asfir/prospeed to save the weight?

Quick thread derail for the gas tank skid--does it fit over the existing plate, or do you remove the stock plate. If you remove it, I am guessing that the tank has its own mounts and is not held up by the skid, right?

Gas tank skid uses some of the existing bolts, but yes, goes over the existing gas tank support. The existing metal support is very thin and not a skid at all, but it does support he plastic tank and you still need it to be in place. The t44 skids all go on pretty easily.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72