1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waffle board mount

Discussion in 'LR4' started by djkaosone, Oct 2, 2020.

1. djkaosone

djkaosone '11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8

I have the Frontrunner Slimline II roof rack and roof rack real estate is hard to come by with a rtt and solar panel mounted. Recently picked up some waffle (frp bridging) boards and mounting them in a useful/accessible spot was challenging. I think I found the perfect spot, under the roof rack.

I used aluminum z bars, ss hardware, and tapered the fitment where it sandwiches the front end and slightly wider opening in the rear.

View from top.

20201001_183835.jpg

Glass clearance.
    20201001_183849.jpg

Glass clearance different view.

20201001_183901.jpg

avslash and cperez like this.
  2. avslash

avslash Full Access Member

Well done.

I have the Prospeed rack and use my waffles as the floor for the rack. Your setup is better if you use the rack extensively as I would be unloading the rack to access the boards. Works in my case as I try really hard to keep anything off the roof.

Something to consider for guys looking at racks.

djkaosone likes this.
  3. djkaosone

djkaosone '11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8

I'm happy to report the system is solid. I went through several trails in Joshua Tree without any issues, I even forgot it was up there. Went through a few rock crawling sections (< 5 mph), rock gardens (5 - 10 mph), soft sand (10 - 40 mph), and hard packed bumpy fire roads (15 - 50 mph). Everything was smooth, no creeks, noises of any sort. Again, I seriously forgot they were even up there otherwise I would have tested the waffle boards out.