Want to paint my brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to paint my breaks to give them this sportier look. Any recommendations on paint, brushes, sprays, technique, etc?
97DE39BF-F03A-4B72-AD52-20FE1AD66F5E.jpeg

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The key thing is heat resistance. I would personally not bother unless I were willing to fully remove the brake calipers, disassemble and mask them, prep them, and have them powder coated.

That said, I'm sure there are high-heat paints that can be used, but I would be cautious about expectations of durability and finish quality.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's questions like this that make me wonder the true intent of the original poster.

Do you really want to know how to do this, or are you looking for encouragement from fellow LR4 owners?

As far as the former goes, surely the OP knows there are any number of online tuturials and youtube videos available that will tell him how to do it, and surely OP knows that the LR4 calipers are no different than any other vehicle.

As far as the latter goes, I think OP is going to fall short. This is the kind of thing that someone does to their car thinking it makes it look cool but it actually makes it look like a try-hard piece of ****, especially if the job isn't done to absolute perfection and the paint starts flaking off over time. Not to mention the stock LR4 brake calipers aren't particularly good looking, and look far from the Brembo-type calipers that are more-properly red.

If you want Brembo calipers, it's possible:

https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/rrs-sc-brake-upgrade.30434/#post-185797

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's questions like this that make me wonder the true intent of the original poster.

Do you really want to know how to do this, or are you looking for encouragement from fellow LR4 owners?

As far as the former goes, surely the OP knows there are any number of online tuturials and youtube videos available that will tell him how to do it, and surely OP knows that the LR4 calipers are no different than any other vehicle.

As far as the latter goes, I think OP is going to fall short. This is the kind of thing that someone does to their car thinking it makes it look cool but it actually makes it look like a try-hard piece of ****, especially if the job isn't done to absolute perfection and the paint starts flaking off over time. Not to mention the stock LR4 brake calipers aren't particularly good looking, and look far from the Brembo-type calipers that are more-properly red.

If you want Brembo calipers, it's possible:

https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/rrs-sc-brake-upgrade.30434/#post-185797
You’re right. I have seen a few online tutorials. However, being as how I’m not your typical “car guy” and don’t know a lot about these things, I hesitate to presume that general videos will always apply to a car like the LR4. While I’m sure there were much less passive-aggressive ways to say what you said, I learn as I go with forums like this. I suppose for people like you, questions need to be very well-informed before they are asked on this forum. I’m sorry if the ignorance in my post offended you or somehow wasted your time or pushed a button or something like that. In any case, I don’t know a whole lot of things you may consider “common sense,” and my strengths and talents lie elsewhere. That being said, I’m a quick learner and will learn quickly asking and researching. Thanks for your reply, either way! And have a wonderful Holiday!

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention the stock LR4 brake calipers aren't particularly good looking, and look far from the Brembo-type calipers...

That's a big component as well. Floating calipers are nothing to show off about.

I have briefly considered powder coating the calipers just so they don't look like they are baked on with brake dust, which they are. But if I were to do it, I'd probably go with black, to keep it subdued. But nice, multi-fixed-piston calipers are a different story.

Again, I don't entirely get what the point is of having look-at-me red calipers on an LR4, but sure, the Brembo ones are cool.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a big component as well. Floating calipers are nothing to show off about.

I have briefly considered powder coating the calipers just so they don't look like they are baked on with brake dust, which they are. But if I were to do it, I'd probably go with black, to keep it subdued. But nice, multi-fixed-piston calipers are a different story.

Again, I don't entirely get what the point is of having look-at-me red calipers on an LR4, but sure, the Brembo ones are cool.
Will look into it, thanks!

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Painting calipers is a real nuisance to do properly. Lots of tedious prep work required to clean the surfaces. It's easier if you do it with the calipers attached, only painting the visible portions, but still not fun.

You need paint specifically designed for calipers, it will tolerate the high heat. There are basically 2 options - either spray paint, which is cheaper/easier/quicker but requires a lot of masking to avoid making a mess, OR you can use the more expensive 2-part epoxy paint which is brushed on. The epoxy stuff is better IMO but takes a lot of time, and once the 2 parts are mixed, you only have a few hours to apply before it sets.

Disclaimer: I did this once, many moons ago, not on a Rover (pics attached). Before anyone wigs out, the hoses were replaced prior to installation, yes I know dangling the calipers from the hoses is bad - I was using the old hoses as hangers. The results were adequate, but given the significant time involved, I don't know if I'd do it again. The "proper" method would be to remove the calipers and send them out to be professionally disassembled and powder coated, but this is $$$$.

500E_calipers_painting1.jpg
500E_calipers_painting2.jpg
500E_calipers_painting3.jpg
500E_calipers_painting4.jpg
500E_calipers_painting5.jpg

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Painting calipers is a real nuisance to do properly. Lots of tedious prep work required to clean the surfaces. It's easier if you do it with the calipers attached, only painting the visible portions, but still not fun.

You need paint specifically designed for calipers, it will tolerate the high heat. There are basically 2 options - either spray paint, which is cheaper/easier/quicker but requires a lot of masking to avoid making a mess, OR you can use the more expensive 2-part epoxy paint which is brushed on. The epoxy stuff is better IMO but takes a lot of time, and once the 2 parts are mixed, you only have a few hours to apply before it sets.

Disclaimer: I did this once, many moons ago, not on a Rover (pics attached). Before anyone wigs out, the hoses were replaced prior to installation, yes I know dangling the calipers from the hoses is bad - I was using the old hoses as hangers. The results were adequate, but given the significant time involved, I don't know if I'd do it again. The "proper" method would be to remove the calipers and send them out to be professionally disassembled and powder coated, but this is $$$$.

500E_calipers_painting1.jpg
500E_calipers_painting2.jpg
500E_calipers_painting3.jpg
500E_calipers_painting4.jpg
500E_calipers_painting5.jpg
After it was said and done, were YOU happy with the results? Did YOU feel it looked good, or did it look cheap. At the end of the day, its you who looks at the car day in and day out, not everyone else, so Were you glad you did it?

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After it was said and done, were YOU happy with the results? Did YOU feel it looked good, or did it look cheap. At the end of the day, its you who looks at the car day in and day out, not everyone else, so Were you glad you did it?
For that particular project, yes, I was happy with the results, and it looked good with the wheels mounted. There were some imperfections in the finish but nobody else would notice except me, and you'd have to pull the wheels to see them anyway. That was my first attempt, I think I'd do a better job next time, but the fact that I never have repeated the job on a different vehicle does say something about the effort required (at least for the 2-part epoxy paint).

brian cork

Reaction score
I'm reading through all of this because I may have to replace the calipers on my 2017 Land Rover Discovery. I want to go with smaller 18" wheels from Lucky8 so I have more sidewall with 32" tires. I am thinking about going with BREMBOs or repainting the OEM calipers myself after they get shaved.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV