warnings galore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rene Koesler

Reaction score
Well, after 10 years of not having a LR I had almost forgotten the joys of seeing almost every fault in the vehicles arsenal flash across the screen! So I'm driving my recently acquired 2016 LR4 HSE Lux down the highway when all of a sudden the suspension drops to access mode and I'm warned to slow down for safety. Also my cruise control turns off and the lights on the Terrain Response panel go off. I also get the "HDC not available", "parking brake not available", "stability control not available", "suspension height adjustment not available", "system fault", and I don't remember what else.....great - POS! Memories came flooding back!

After a stop and lunch, ALL was back to normal. Dealer could find no codes the next day and all was fine for several days and hundreds of miles. Then it happened again. Went straight to the dealer so they could see the problem first hand - said it was the "brake switch" which they replaced. So far so good, until ????Love my LR4!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would have guessed brake switch half way through your story - the issue was far more common with LR3s apparently, but a switch is a switch and when it fails everything cascades after that, and you basically can't drive the car. Some of us carry a spare brake switch in the tool bags of our LR3s and 4s when we venture off-road, just in case. That's how catastrophic that stupid little switch can become when it fails without warning.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the "brake light" switch under the dash? The one with the Ford part number?

Hadn't heard of it being that catastrophic, but if so, I will be picking one up to go in the spares box for when I travel.

Rene Koesler

Reaction score
I don't know which "brake switch" it was. The service writer's computer was down so I didn't even get a "work order" to refer to and of course I was not allowed into the service area? Also had an "oil service" done when I was there last week which cost me
$ 153.11. Is that about right or what do you guys think? Thanks everybody for your knowledge and helpful postings!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, the dreaded "Christmas Tree of Death" displayed on the dashboard. Most of us that owned an LR3 before an LR4 experienced this due to the brake switch. I used to carry a spare brake switch as well after my LR3 pulled that stunt on the George Washington Bridge. It's the switch that rests against the arm of the brake pedal. Atlantic British sells the LR3 version but you may have to get the LR4 version from the dealer.

https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/XKB500110G

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know which "brake switch" it was. The service writer's computer was down so I didn't even get a "work order" to refer to and of course I was not allowed into the service area? Also had an "oil service" done when I was there last week which cost me
$ 153.11. Is that about right or what do you guys think? Thanks everybody for your knowledge and helpful postings!

Get a mightyvac, seriously. Oil change will never cost you more than 10 minutes and the cost of oil and filter. No mess and don’t have to get under the car. I would probably feel comfortable doing it in dress clothes. Look at youtube videos of lr4 oil change and mightyvac. You can get them on amazon. Useful for lots of other fluids too. I did my diffs and transfer case no sweat. And have used it several times for my transmission fluid (that’s a whole other story)

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a mightyvac, seriously. Oil change will never cost you more than 10 minutes and the cost of oil and filter. No mess and don’t have to get under the car. I would probably feel comfortable doing it in dress clothes. Look at youtube videos of lr4 oil change and mightyvac. You can get them on amazon. Useful for lots of other fluids too. I did my diffs and transfer case no sweat. And have used it several times for my transmission fluid (that’s a whole other story)

I'm about ready to do my transmission pan swap, like this saturday. Just did my diffs, xfer case, etc.. all simple. Dealer did my diffs last time and overfilled them.. assholes.

Any notes on the trans? Why use mittyvac vs just let it drain and then normal pump fill? Spare no details if you wouldn't mind. PM is fine if this thread isn't a good place. Thanks in advance!

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about ready to do my transmission pan swap, like this saturday. Just did my diffs, xfer case, etc.. all simple. Dealer did my diffs last time and overfilled them.. assholes.

Any notes on the trans? Why use mittyvac vs just let it drain and then normal pump fill? Spare no details if you wouldn't mind. PM is fine if this thread isn't a good place. Thanks in advance!

That’s for another thread. I’ll send you a pm

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mityvac will make for less mess

My notes after doing mine recently:

1. Remove the extra 13 bolts and drop the nechatronic unit and replace the bridge tubes and seal. Less than 50.00 additional bucks and known to cause issues as they age

2. Get a small bit driver where the bits pass through the head. Makes reaching some of the pan bolts much easier

3. Don't bother hacksawing the filter neck. Give it a sharp tug towards the passenger side and it will snap off.

4. Correct order is remove connector sleeve. Drop nechatronic unit. Replace mechatronic unit. Install new sleeve.

5. Get an IR thermometer to monitor temp on refill.

6. Get ready to get dirty. It is a messy job at home

Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA