Water leaking onto passenger floor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captain Slow

Reaction score
My parents have a 08 disco 3 and last week my mom told me that the passenger floor would get wet when the a/c was on. I talked to someone at the Minneapolis land rover dealer but the person was a condescending ***** that was less than helpful. Does anyone know what this could possibly be?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If it is anything like the last 2 models of the Discovery it will be the A/C drain vents. Normally located under the vehicle next to the transmission. If you look around you should see two (one on each side of the transmission) rubber hoses. They have what looks like a ****** on them. They will be clogged, and when you open them please wear goggles or a face shield as you will get a mouth full of water.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is also worth checking the cowl, the black plastic thing that the wiper motors go through. On the passenger side they all warp, and water can come in through the cabin air filter. Check the cabin air filter for water / wet. You can do this yourself. Drop me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send you a link to a how to do it, if that turns out to be the problem.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on tlt's warped cowl comments. I have a warped cowl and have the same situation. Solution is to put a new cowl on, or duct tape it for the temporary trailer park fix.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is another solution...I believe it involves creating some baffling to channel water away from the cabin filter. ...and of course you might also want to get a new cowl as well.

My cowl has only a slight warping to it....I'm just not convinced that changing it would yield better results. Would it be installed perfectly? How long until it also warps?

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read in a thread on here somewhere about someone who did the channeling on the air intake underneath the cowl. I think they machined something, but I would imagine you could use duct tape to wrap around it, and make a lip on the lower end that would push the water to the sides.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you install the new un-warped cowl, put a bead of clear rtv silicone in that section that warps. It should slow down the warping, and stretch with the warp to prevent the water issue. It would probably also work for a warped one, but you'll have to stand there and hold it or wedge something to keep pressure on it until it sets.

It is not an expensive part, just annoying. There's a change you'll break your a pillar covers as well if you change it, so I would recommend getting all three parts if you have never replaced the A pillar covers. The new ones are a bit more rugged, and have new sealing clips to prevent water ingress. When you unsnap old ones, usually one or more plastic clips/guides on it break.

Last edited:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air conditioner drains, (2)

This post provides a bit more data re the two air conditioner drains, (one on each side of the transmission ****), off of the front heater that is referenced in the second post above.

A couple of the files within the link show where the two tubes are located and there is also a jpg of same.

It seems that one of both of the rubber hoses "relax" and slide off the rigid plastic drain ******* at the bottom of the heater / AC case.

All one does is slide them, (usually just one has slipped off), back up on the ******* and the AC water or cowl water is then again routed thru the floor boards to the ground beneath instead of emptying into the front carpet.

Yes, in some cases, the hoses themselves have plugged, but more often than not, the problem is just that the hoses have slipped off the heater case *******. To check for plugging, one could pour some water down each hose, one at a time, but if you see that the hoses have slipped off the *******, then that is most likely the real problem.

http://www.bit.ly/1dEULOt

06Rover

Reaction score
Might be the roof drain vents

Are you sure it is only when the AC is on or is it after a good rain?Before you get too carried away, check that the sunroof drains are not clogged, this will also cause the floors to become damp/wet.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut