Water pump replacement step by step

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua Tree

Reaction score
I see lots of information on here about water pump issues with the 5.0 engine. What I don't see are any instructions or advice on how to replace the water pump yourself. The biggest problem appears to be the hose connection on the backside. Do you remove the log/intake to get at this ? Anybody out there actually done this ?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had one of ours replaced under warranty. I recall seeing on the work order that the allocated time for this repair was 10 hours, so it must be rather labor intensive. I know it involved removal of a front fender since I had to loosen a bolt and correct the position of the fender when I got it back.

I did a timing belt myself on an Audi and it took me an entire weekend. Never again, some things are better left to people that have done this job multiple times before.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had one of ours replaced under warranty. I recall seeing on the work order that the allocated time for this repair was 10 hours, so it must be rather labor intensive. I know it involved removal of a front fender since I had to loosen a bolt and correct the position of the fender when I got it back.

Really? That sucks.

I had not heard about pump issues. Bummer.

At 10 hours of labor, the dealer would probably charge $1500 for the job. Pretty sure I'd try to tackle that myself.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10 hours??? I need to check, but I think mine only took about 2-3 hours.

Joshua Tree

Reaction score
In this case a tube that connects to the back of the water pump needed replacement as well. Intake manifold had to be removed. And by the way your lower control arm bushings are bad. $1600 more thank you. Should have brought a Kia.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 and haven't had the water pump changed... Eeek.. Hope it doesn't give me grief after warranty.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 and haven't had the water pump changed... Eeek.. Hope it doesn't give me grief after warranty.
I just had mine changed because it had a very slightly leak. My tech friend at the dealership replaced it for me under warranty and told me LR is using a new water pump that doesn't just explode when it goes, but rather is a much better design.

I can ask him for more details if you want.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was unexpectedly replaced after 8k miles on a recent dealer visit (even though I didn't notice a leak). All under warranty and took an extra full day in the shop for labor. I have no details on the procedure only that I was surprised to learn I needed a replacement so soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnR

Reaction score
My 2010 is on it's third one in under 40K miles.
They replaced the first under warranty
I had to pay the next time.

JR

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut