Wear & Tear hvac knobs - door armrest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a 2011 LR4 LUX with 88K miles. I guess my wife and I rest our arms on the 'arm rest' portion of the door and have worn out the pleather/vinyl or whatever it is. We do have the LUX, which has softer leather for the seats, but we don't have the extended leather package which I believe has soft leather on dashboard and other areas on doors. I'm not sure if this is different for the earlier models compared to the later models.

I have searched the internet and called the dealers and all I have found is that you have to buy the entire door insert to just replace that part. Does anyone else have a worn armrest? Has anyone purchased this part alone? This probably started close to 3 years ago and has gotten worse and worse.

The other item that has worn prematurely are the 3 dials for the AC system. They are sticky and quite annoying to touch. The 2 controls for the stereo are perfectly fine. I think I'd like to change out all 5 because I am worried that the 3 new ones below would somehow look different then the 2 older ones above. This is of course based on the idea of buying just the knobs. I guess I should contact Delphi? I'd rather not purchase a new Hvac unit that is in perfectly fine working order with some cosmetic blemishes. Again, anyone else have worn knobs? Has anyone just rubbed off the sticky stuff?

Thanks!

xHFePdCMQt6jLYb9Tl5nHQ.jpg
g96PAVmFRXuPqZOxlsrSRQ.jpg
TXyoG9LETa+dvy7w2zpoxQ.jpg

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! My LR4 has 30k miles but a lot of seat time. The knobs look brand new. I have to say I never rest my elbow on the door sill, so that is also brand new.

I am of no help for the reasons above, but I am curious about the knobs. I have to imagine they are a stand-alone part you can just pop on, bu ***'s just a guess. Do let us know what you find.

The dealer ought to be able to tell you about the knobs though.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, no help here but that is kind of insane. You leave it out in the hot FL sun a lot?
Good luck sorting it out?

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sits in the garage all summer during the day, wife's a school teacher. Rest of the year it bakes out in it.

Huy Tran

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The knob on my 2010 Lux did the same thing. I just popped them off and cleaned off all the sticky rubberized coating with alcohol.
Can't help you with the door. Never seen that before.

dwizum

Reaction score
I can confirm that the door is only available as a complete panel even though you can remove just that component from the actual panel. My truck had some damage when I bought it (prior owner's children had cracked the speaker grilles), the dealer committed to fix before delivery and was then quite surprised that he had to buy the whole unit!

If I were in your shoes I'd just start hitting up junkyards and/or ebay.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just popped them off and cleaned off all the sticky rubberized coating with alcohol..

Thanks, I had no idea they just popped off. I'll get on that and take some pics. That's even more reason for them to sell replacement ones if they just pop off. If they don't look great after cleaning them, I'll contact Delphi to see if they sell the knobs and report back.

If I were in your shoes I'd just start hitting up junkyards and/or ebay.

Haven't been to any junkyards yet, and I'll keep checking eBay. Just not sure I want to change out the whole panel.

Thanks guys!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try these guys: www.roverlandparts.com

I had a hole drilled through the driver side AC vent/headlight switch panel for a laser jammer control knob. When the jammer became outdated, I was able to get a used replacement panel from them that was in great condition.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try these guys: www.roverlandparts.com

I had a hole drilled through the driver side AC vent/headlight switch panel for a laser jammer control knob. When the jammer became outdated, I was able to get a used replacement panel from them that was in great condition.

Thanks, I'll give them a call. I actually have 2 $25 gift certificates from them that I won in a raffle at a Florida Land Rover Club Rally. They are located in Central FL.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut