Went to use hitch...surprise!

Discussion in 'LR4' started by wthammett, Aug 11, 2019.

1. wthammett

wthammett Well-Known Member

After three years of ownership I take the tow hitch cover off as I need to put the bike rack on her as I'm dropping my kid off at college and I need to take her bike. Well wasn't I surprised when I removed the cover to find a big loop looking thing. That's it, no further discussion required

2. avslash

avslash Full Access Member

Ummm, yeah. That's the rear recovery point.

You need the exorbitantly priced LR draw bar receiver to use the hitch and the also exorbitantly priced wiring harness connector plus the draw bar of your choice if you want to tow anything.

I would get the Rhinohitch if I was starting over.

3. cperez

cperez Full Access Member

I’ve been happy with my Rhino hitch and just wish I had more occasion to use it. I’ve also gone with the Atlantic British wiring harness for the tow electrics on both of my LR4s. I’ve seen that harness on sale at AB for as little as $100 although I think the usual price is around $130.

toddjb122 likes this.
  4. howardduff

howardduff Full Access Member

Do you have the towing package with your vehicle. If so you will find the adaptor under the panel on the left side behind your back seat. It is just opposite the panel where the jack is stored. To know if you have the tow package just look under the panel you removed yesterday and if you see the trailer light electrical plug. If you don't have the plug you will not find the adaptor. They adaptor and wiring came as a package. If you want to purchase an adaptor I have one from my LR3. It will fit your vehicle if you don't have a full size spare tire.

5. wthammett

wthammett Well-Known Member

Well well I only need to put a bike carrier on it and I see these adapters on amazon for $75 unless you guys tell me those are complete trash, it's only one bike it needs to carry.

6. NASdiesel

NASdiesel Full Access Member

Those are fine for a bike carrier of 2 bikes or less. No towing, etc.

7. ryanjl

ryanjl Full Access Member

I bought a used LR tow hitch off eBay and rebuilt it myself. I've only used it for a bike rack, but didn't want a tow hitch that couldn't actually tow if need be.

8. Quijote

Quijote Full Access Member

I know the OEM hitch is expensive, but it's a great, easy to use design and LR4 chassis is pre-built to accept it. I love it. I found it new for around $400 soon after I bought my LR4. It's a very elegant, strong, clean solution.

9. Arif Kassam

Arif Kassam New Member

The bolt on hitch is a lot less money than the removable hitch. Is that an option?

10. f1racer328

f1racer328 Full Access Member

I bought a used OEM hitch off Craigslist (I think I paid $300) and bought the AB wiring harness for about $120 and installed it myself. Totally worth it.