what’s the fastest you’ve gone in your LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to Arizona this weekend to break quarantine last weekend. The trip was easy and made great time with no one on the road. This gave me the privilege to safely go a little faster then I was supposed to. I found that on oem wheels regular tires I found out that the car could sit quite comfortably at 120mph without any worrying in my mind. This road did have some sudden dips and would cause you to fall in then shoot out of them making the suspension go trough all of its travel to keep the wheels on the ground but yet not at one point did I feel uncomfortable or like I was pushing the car. I know tires and wheels will affected this dramatically which is why I won’t be trying this with the new set of 31’s I get in September but just wondering what’s the fastest you’ve got your lr4 to go? (Also as a sidenote, the 121 “claimed” top speed by Land Rover is completely inaccurate. The car climbed quite easily to 120 with the throttle no where near the ground. Maybe they were waiting for idiots like me to test this out for them?)

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well there’s no way I’d try that with my worn bushes.

As for the 121 top speed, it’s more than likely electronically limited.

Glad you enjoyed the drive.

Stu.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't like the LR4 at over 90 - particularly the fuel economy. I think I may have touched 100 once, but I routinely do high 70's in the highway. It's not a car to drive fast. My M3 on other hand, I did 162mph on the Autobahn with my family in the car.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you shouldn’t. I’ve had my front air springs done as well as my sway bar and control arm bushings all re done less then 7k miles ago. Also did the compressor 15k miles ago. She drives like brand new now which means I can have some fun here and there.

Well there’s no way I’d try that with my worn bushes.

As for the 121 top speed, it’s more than likely electronically limited.

Glad you enjoyed the drive.

Stu.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't like the LR4 at over 90 - particularly the fuel economy. I think I may have touched 100 once, but I routinely do high 70's in the highway. It's not a car to drive fast. My M3 on other hand, I did 162mph on the Autobahn with my family in the car.

Well if we’re talking about other cars on this thread, I was chugging along quite happily at 165 in my E39 M5 on the way across Germany a few years ago. Had to have it de restricted for that. (Sadly this car had to be sold when I emigrated to the US)

I’ve not had my Esprit up to that speed though. Sort of lost my nerve at 145 with the front end lift. But a whole lot of fun. (This one is still waiting for me in the uk, can’t decide if I’m going to import it under the 25 yr rule or not. California emissions will be interesting ha)

I’m in for pretty much the same suspension job as you Jimmy, minus the compressor.

Enjoy driving that sorted LR4 :)

Stu.

Rumor has it that without a limiter they can do 140.

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/performance/2016/2045480/land_rover_lr4_scv6.html

Last edited:

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised either. Sadly I didn’t go past 120 so I can’t answer that question. I can agree with you though that M3’s are great cars. I’m looking to rebuild an e92 from a salvage auction right now. What model is your M3.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if it’s true that the trucks are limited to 121 do you think an iid tool could illuminate the limiter? Not that I will need to but just out of curiosity.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if it’s true that the trucks are limited to 121 do you think an iid tool could illuminate the limiter? Not that I will need to but just out of curiosity.

No idea on that, I’m sure there’s more qualified individuals on here to answer that question of the day.

As a point of reference the beemer needed a complete remap to get the limiter lifted.

Stu.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut