What is the best MY for a LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerbo

Reaction score
What does this community think is the best Model Year for the LR4?

Specifically, one that will be kitted as an overland vehicle?

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the responses you will get will be a 2013 or 2012, last of the V8 era. Doesn't appear to be an appreciable difference in fuel economy in real world circumstances, so range is about the same but you have more power/torque. Also more likely to find one with HD package.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't really say best for what? Price? reliability? I would say they are all about the same reliability wise. LR doesn't make a habit of improving things they know are weak spots. You might spend 15k more for a 2013 over a 2010 but it isn't going to be 15k 'better' IMO. But yeah, I agree with colorover about the V8. Not even close to necessary, but I'd still want it.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best years: 2010 - 2013 with the 5.0L V8, 2-speed xfer case and HD available

From 2014 and on the engine was a 3.0L SC and you began to see single-speed xfer cases.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am biased also (2013 with HD). But just to add, I think white is the best color for the long haul also. Its the only NON metallic/flake color, so it is cheaper to have things re-painted and much easier to color match. I have had a few panels repainted already due to minor damage, deer and such.

I don't have all the details, but I think by 2013 they had changed a few other things with the engine also, something about timing chain tensioners and I have heard of a few other TSB's and software things that were changed. I know the 2013 has faster response from the touch screen.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am biased also (2013 with HD). But just to add, I think white is the best color for the long haul also. Its the only NON metallic/flake color, so it is cheaper to have things re-painted and much easier to color match. I have had a few panels repainted already due to minor damage, deer and such.

I don't have all the details, but I think by 2013 they had changed a few other things with the engine also, something about timing chain tensioners and I have heard of a few other TSB's and software things that were changed. I know the 2013 has faster response from the touch screen.

Do tell on the timing chain tensioners. That's the one and only long term worry that I have. Had rattly ones on my LR3 and that was going to be $4000. i've heard the LR4 are more like $7000? (and more likely to happen on the 4)

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed on the upgraded Nav system by 2013. But, even today's system is nearly outdated relative to stand-alone systems or cell phones. Not just LR. It really becomes a non-factor in a preowned vehicle decision.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I wish my black 2012 were white.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do tell on the timing chain tensioners. That's the one and only long term worry that I have. Had rattly ones on my LR3 and that was going to be $4000. i've heard the LR4 are more like $7000? (and more likely to happen on the 4)

I have searched a few times for more details. I know from threads on this forum that folks in the 2010-2011 range have had the issue with plastic chain guides. I have read that 'later' versions got metal upgrades. I thought I had a link to a tsb at one point, but can't find it right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV