Where to buy a SIDE MIRROR backing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I went for a drive yesterday and came home without the back to my driver side mirror. Retraced my steps, didn't see it anywhere. This driver's side mirror has been suspect since it was repaired poorly by Carmax prior to purchase (I'd have to snap it back on once in a while), and I finally got burned. I'm too far from purchase to go back to CarMax, so...

I called a local dealer and they said it's $118, but it comes unpainted. Plus I have to pay and pick up in person, which is inconvenient right now. It's not so much the cost, it's the pain in the butt of then also having to take it to a body shop, have them quote it, paint it, etc... All for a mirror, while I drive around looking like I hit a tree.

Is there any place I can order the part, and have it painted, and then they ship it to me?
Or perhaps a good online salvage yard you guys may know of?

Thanks for any tips! Pics of the missing part for reference... (2013 LR4 HSE LUX)

2v2Hw4Hq8xvn42L.jpg

2v2Hw4HFMxvn42L.jpg

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should note, I also don't mind just replacing both sides with matte black plastic mirror backs, if that is an option. :hmmmm: I've seen them out here, perhaps a part for a different model of LR4 is click-in compatible and doesn't require any painting. May come out cheaper in the end also.

OEM colored to match is still preferred. I did a quick search and found some cheat $16-20 glossy back mirror cover options. I'm not sure how they'd look. Be best if black matched the OEM plastic of the lower half. Gloss ABS up top might look kinda cheap.

Last edited:

airbear

Reaction score
If anyone replies with an affirmative, I'd love to know where. I had the same thing happen.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone replies with an affirmative, I'd love to know where. I had the same thing happen.
I was able to find the OEM part unpainted, of course, at various prices at or below dealer price of $120. There are also aftermarket unpainted parts for like $20 if you look around. Maybe they are okay, but the plastic was white instead of black and I didn't know if it'd be more thin or brittle.

@cperez passed me a link to the LKQ online salvage franchise which turned up four mirrors in various colors. One matched my vehicle, but you had to buy the entire mirror at $299. With this whole pandemic thing going on now, I figured I'd roll the dice, hope the part wasn't too scratched, and avoid having to drive around to body shops to get quotes and such.

I don't feel great about it... overpaid for more than I want, and I'm taking a gamble on color tint and condition, but its the quickest option I found.

https://www.lkqcorp.com/buyparts/

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone finds matte black plastic mirror backs, please let me know. I'd still be interested in those. I only saw glossy black, which I didn't really like for my vehicle (all the black I have is matte)

Last edited:

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife cracked her passeger side mirror on her 08 RR. The glass itself did not break so I was looking for the same thing, the shell on the back. In her case, the shell parts that were available were actually covers that glue on over the underlying plastic frame, and the underlying plastic frame was broken on hers. Matte black ones are a whole assembly and do have a piece that can be snapped back in.

At any rate, after a lot of searching, I found the place below to be the best value by far, I got the entire mirror assembly with screws and the photochromatic mirror that she required for $150 + $20 shipping. It was a fairly straight forward install, a bit of a pain to get the interior door panel off, but I got in on and it looked better than the one she broke. And I have a spare mirror in case she ever breaks it...

Note, I did notice that they now offer items from "outlying warehouses", which to me just means brokered from another salvage yard, those items seem to be pricier than anything they have in stock in their own yard.

https://weaverparts.autopartsearch.com/catalog-6/

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both good options. Thanks guys.

Powerfuluk has a lot of mirror cap replacement and cover options. I also saw that the standard mirror is indeed a matte plastic, so it's good to know I should be able to order that from the dealer if needed. (Unfortunately I already bought an entire mirror assembly)

Weaverparts was similar to the LKQ link I posted, but a different set of cars. So, by using both you increase the chances of getting a color match.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72