Whining from the engine Whats going on? What part do I need to replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverca

Reaction score
When I hit the gas there is a loud higher pitched whining from the engine. Also noticed my oil was lower than normal and found a leak see picture. Also, if I take the old dip stick out there is a air hissing sound and if I remove the oil cap the engine stalls. 2007 V8 LR3 with 95k miles
IMG_5658.jpg

IMG_5658 2.jpg

Gnomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your engine is set up to scavenge and burn oil and crankcase vapors, removing the oil cap and dipstick allow unmetered air into the engine and cause the symptoms you describe, that is normal operation and not a problem, as long as you don't drive around like that!

roverca

Reaction score
Haha. Ok cool thank you! I didn't know that the engine would stall when you opened the oil cap. The higher pitch whining when the engine rpms go up I'm not understanding and the leak of oil.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A worn belt and/or pulley or a failing alternator will often make high pitch whines - you might check those. I am not sure if the whine and oil are related, you may have 2 distinct issues.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I hit the gas there is a loud higher pitched whining from the engine. Also noticed my oil was lower than normal and found a leak see picture. Also, if I take the old dip stick out there is a air hissing sound and if I remove the oil cap the engine stalls. 2007 V8 LR3 with 95k milesView attachment 9214

View attachment 9215
Looks like your PCV valve to me. That is what allows gasses built up in your crankcase to vent back into the intake. Inexpensive repair.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/233087751577

roverca

Reaction score
Landed in the same place and ordered the PCV valve today. I hope that works.

roverca

Reaction score
belts looked good and I already experienced an alternator that I replaced a year ago. I hope the PCV valve is the ticket.

HarryO

Reaction score
I had a similar noise - thought it was the alternator or water pump. Had it checked out - took two rounds for them to find that it was the Airconditioner compressor making the noise because the gas was low - easy cheap fix once they found it...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a very different whine than the alternator....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi