Why do american trucks get much better mpg that the lr4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What have the truck people figured out that LR can't seem to figure out? The LR4 and your average modern full size pickup weigh about the same. But man I have been watching some of these new pickups on TFLTUCK and most of them are getting upwards of 18 Combined, or better... with big honking v8's or ecoboosts with roughly the same Hp. I don't get it. My buddy's raptor gets way better mpg than my lr4.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Modern day trucks don't run full time 4wd like the LRs do. They also use far more complex turbo engines (ford) or cylinder turn offs (chevy) and up to 10 speed transmissions.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and Ford (and I think most others) use vacuum engaged hubs on the front end to let the wheels run without spinning anything other than themselves. Those hubs are the reason I'm driving a LR instead of a truck.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still waiting for more data to "publish" my results but I noticed an improvement in mileage recently when I removed my factory side steps and replaced them with Proud Rhino sliders. They really reach under the vehicle, I would say almost one foot on each side, and seem to create at least a partial under-body effect. Also, the factory side steps are smooth on the top but fairly deep and open on the bottom, which would contribute to air turbulence.

I made a 3.5 hour trip from Ithaca to northen NJ at just over 60 mph and I got nearly 22mpg overall. I remember seeing 20mpg on a shrort trip only once before, and that was within the first 5k miles on the OEM Continentals. I currently have 32k miles on my Duratracs but have Nokian WRG3s on order so expect that to improve by a marginal amount.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good points. Maybe my right foot is too heavy to see those numbers but I never have seen over 20 for any real length of time. Ram is doing the mild hybrid system now to increase the city mpg. I see some innovation over there that I am not seeing as much in the lr stuff. I am envious of the disco diesel but not of the explorer body it’s in.

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fwiw in the mtns of CO I've been getting 20-21mpg indicated on the v8 LR4. Checking manually it was really more like 18.5-19.5. I got the same on a hemi powered ram 1500, 20-21mpg indicated and actual on a 5.0 f150 and 21-23mpg indicated and actual on a 3.5 Ecoboost f150 gen 2, and the same actual mpg as the Landy in a gen 1 Ecoboost expedition. So I'd say the Landy is in line with other cars from 7 years ago but recently failed to make the gains everyone else did. I blame the silly supercharged v6.

Note 2017+ f150s and 2018+ expeditions are gen 2 motors and have 10spd transmissions.

Last edited:

Mcb14230

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good points. Maybe my right foot is too heavy to see those numbers but I never have seen over 20 for any real length of time. Ram is doing the mild hybrid system now to increase the city mpg. I see some innovation over there that I am not seeing as much in the lr stuff. I am envious of the disco diesel but not of the explorer body it’s in.
i think there are other issues at play. the government pushes ford, dodge and gm to meet an average MPG by brand for subsidies. so every guzzler needs an alternative. Land Rover isnt under that guideline and probably more importantly; their customer base hasnt every been picky about mileage. I do hope that we see more diesel options going forward..but that is for Torque as much as mileage

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And there may be some gaming of the system by Ford, GM, etc., to meet the US requirements. I had a 2011 Explorer LTD, AWD, and the window sticker claimed 17/23 but I never saw anything close to 23 on the highway and my combined was 17.8. Our X5 driven on the same routes, same driver, averaged 19.6 even though it was rated at 17/21.

That said, the advanced tech in the new trucks seems like it should make a big difference. Curious to see if the alternate side steps are a long-term success. Not to hijack the thread- so please start a new one if you feel like it- do those steps offer the same side-impact protection as the factory bars?

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And there may be some gaming of the system by Ford, GM, etc., to meet the US requirements. I had a 2011 Explorer LTD, AWD, and the window sticker claimed 17/23 but I never saw anything close to 23 on the highway and my combined was 17.8. Our X5 driven on the same routes, same driver, averaged 19.6 even though it was rated at 17/21.

That said, the advanced tech in the new trucks seems like it should make a big difference. Curious to see if the alternate side steps are a long-term success. Not to hijack the thread- so please start a new one if you feel like it- do those steps offer the same side-impact protection as the factory bars?

Yes; I'll start a new thread when I get more info...got the Nokians on last week and still early into my first tank.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And to answer your question about side-impact protection, I am certain they are a superior in protection to the factory steps. Welded tubular and plate steel versus stamped steel and aluminum perimeter for the factory steps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72