Why does this keep coming off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy Harding

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I replaced this windscreen trim a few months ago but it keeps coming lose on the freeway and I always end up putting some gaffer tape on it.
I just bought some new clips, should I just put some silicone on them before I re install it ?

Thanks.

Guy

Attachments

• 99C15099-C0B9-44B2-BFEE-E9AE2DE19F6E.jpeg
    99C15099-C0B9-44B2-BFEE-E9AE2DE19F6E.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 60

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My windshield guy says OEM clips are the only ones that ever work out for him. You can’t reuse them either.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a windshield change I had the same problem. It seems that the holes were a bit damaged by a clumsy windshield technician. New OEM clips didn’t help.

After trying everything OEM that I could try, I used two rubber expansion nuts (also known as well nuts) with stainless steel recessed screws. That has been working well for more than a year. It just took some careful drilling in the trim piece. Expansion nuts went into the existing A pillar posts.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this happen as well. Windshield guys used new clips, but I think they ended up using some of that windshield sealant to get to stay on.

My theory on the problem is that the windshield people use too much sealant on the windshield, which causes it to sit too far out from the frame so the clips can’t quite seat properly. I have another chip in the windshield, so I’ll be dealing with it again soon.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this happen as well. Windshield guys used new clips, but I think they ended up using some of that windshield sealant to get to stay on.

My theory on the problem is that the windshield people use too much sealant on the windshield, which causes it to sit too far out from the frame so the clips can’t quite seat properly. I have another chip in the windshield, so I’ll be dealing with it again soon.

Solid theory. Sometimes I have to put all my weight on the cover to get the clips to seat. Even with I have had covers pop off on the highway (typically 2 lane ones and a semi going the other way.). Now I carry duct tape just in case.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got tired of this happening even with the OEM clips and I ended up just superglueing the top clip to the female port on the A-pillar since I knew I had no reason to go in there. Did that about 3 months ago and haven’t had an issue with it since.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut