Why is the SRS light on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

disco-mojo

Ok, heres a question for all you DiscoII guru's out there... We had (as you can see from another post), an "incident" with our rear sunroof... meaning it broke out. Not too long after that, the SRS light came on. Ironically, it went back off after banging on the steering column... So, we think it might be do to moisture in the car? (we live in the NW...no sunroof and rain=not a good combination). Does anyone out there have or has heard of this problem? Maybe someone knows how to combat it or how to check what the problem is? Any help would be greatly appreciated... Its becoming annoying... :confused:

Thanks!
Jean :bandit:

D

discomike

Jean,
Quit banging on the steering column. Go have some read the codes and see, it is not related to the sun roof or the moisture unless you poored water on the steering wheel.
Remember the air bag is an explosive device, treat it with some respect.
Good luck,
Mike J.

M

montanablur

There is a coupler on your steering shaft that connects the wires from your SRS (safety resraint system), cruise control and horn on the wheel to its respective connections. It is a delicate piece of plastic. I have heard of the wires getting caught up on someting inside the steering shaft and pulling out. As Mike mentioned the air bag is not to be played with. Does your horn work? Does your cruise control work? If not it's a good indicator that it is this coupler.

D

discomike

Heaven forbid the SRS warning light is actually working and in fact you have had a failure occur. There are about 4 components that can fail in the system, none of them will fire the bag, it just won't work in case of an impact.
Mike J.

J

johnpcunningham

SRS light

On my 1998 Discovery 1, my airbags fired when I had accidently banged very ******* the Center console where one would store CDs. I orderded the repalcement airbags and glove box off of EBAY at a reasonable rate. Roverlandparts has them at a decent rate as well; beige or gray.

Anyway, all got installed and the SRS light remained on. Being an EE engineer, I own my own OBD II code reader. No luck, no codes can be read to clear this. After some investigation I have found that a tool called "testbook" is required to test and clear this light. Of course, assuming that the airbags are good and no damaged wiring or sensors.

Fortunately, I had got off EBAY the SRS computer that sits under the center console. I took a chance and swapped it out. SURE ENOUGH THE LIGHT NOW GOES OUT!. Therefore, something got store in that unit.

Note that my airbags did deploy and this fixed the light issue.

Hope this helps some folks out.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Talk about bringing back a very old post, and for your first posting....

I guess the search engine does work.

S

siddhartha37

Just for the record, the SRS light doesn't necessarily mean the airbags won't go off, mine did yesterday, and very pleased to walk away from that one without a scratch

Joe
96 Disco (RIP)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut