Will our LR4's be desirable in 10 - 15 years, or are they just another modern day LR?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wthammett

Reaction score
So this is a day after Christmas, philosophical rant but one I've been thinking about lately and I'd like your input:
Question: Do the LR4's have a chance to become that vehicle that people seek 10-15 years from now? Could it become highly sought after like a 80's Jeep Wagoneer or a 70's Ford Bronco? Not in the sense of being worth $80K at an auction valuable but valuable in the 'Hey those were so cool and they only made so many of them' sort of cult following way?

Like many of you the thought of facing the onslaught of future medical costs for my 2011 HSE 5.0 with 170K on the clock is staring my in the face. But she's been relatively good to me this far and it's still one of the most comfortable, capable vehicles I've ever owned.

So, instead of dumping her at some point and moving on, my question is aimed at answering the following for myself - do I have the patience to say no, I keep her long term, maybe not as a daily driver at some point, but with the thought that I repair all things that come my way and keep for that sweet time 15 years from now when it's like wow, you have an LR4? Or is all this ridiculous, after all it's just a vehicle...

ZR1Gerhardt

Reaction score
Too many soccer moms driving them. I don't see this being a cool car in the future, other than for a major Land Rover lover.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the V8 LR4’s might become a niche car some people would like. Well taken care of examples with lesser miles may hold their value particularly well. It’s a pretty vehicle from the boxy era and it has a very nice, large V8.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they'll remain cool. The main reason is the body style and overall design. The days of squared-off SUVs have passed. LR3/4s are just good-looking vehicles that are unapologetically non-aerodynamic. At some point the V8 may be more coveted than the SCV6 but I believe the body style will always be the main attraction point.

I'm not bothered by the fact that lots of soccer moms drive them. That depends on where you live anyway. Here in DC it's certainly common to see them in soccer mom habitats. But those aren't the people who will hang on to them long-term. That said, I know lots of soccer moms who love their LRs and understand what the brand stands/stood for.

On that note, they will also remain cool because they are the last LR design to truly hold on to the brand's original design ethos and legacy.

I don't have any plans to make my current LR4 a garage queen. I have a lot of road trips yet to take and I want to enjoy every mile in this vehicle.

To your main point, I'll be happy if they maintain or develop a cult following along the lines of the Jeep Grand Wagoneer you mentioned. OTOH, I truly don't care if others come to appreciate them or not. I know that I enjoy this vehicle and that's enough for me! Happy New Year.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As one of the last body on frame SUVs with two speed transfer case they may always hold some appeal to off roaders. Can't see it being collectable though. Sort of like Disco IIs

Parker Freeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought it 2013 LR4 HD package from a dealer here in Denver for $25,000. White with the black accents. The previous owner was a soccer mom and if I get really get hungry I can still find a chicken McNugget tucked under the seats. The dealership actually did a pretty good job cleaning out the car but I did find a couple marbles and hair ties under the seats. I love the look of the LR4 and then added a Voyager roofrack, rock sliders, some traction pads and a shovel to increase its manliness! It's not a soccer mom car now... Also put on Continental Terrain Contact tires which about a month ago pulled me through a minor blizzard on the way to Boulder Colorado.

10 to 15 years from now I hope people will look at the LR4 as the classic consummate, go anywhere vehicle.

My wife calls it my GI Joe SUV cuz it has all the little snap-on accessories. I call it badass!

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll still be enjoying mine 15 years from now but I don't know if the comment will be "Hey, that's a cool vehicle!" or if it'll be "So you actually had to DRIVE a car back then?! How did you manage to keep between the lines, or slow down to not hit the vehicle in front of you?!"

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 5 years into ownership and I still love this SUV and see nothing out there that makes me want to replace it. It is still silky smooth in both drive train and ride. It is very roomy for how short it is (something I REALLY value thanks to my very shallow garage) and has acres of glass compared to new ones.

I think it has tons of character and in a few years when most LR4's will have 100k+ miles and will be deemed not worth keeping, the few on the road will turn heads. It won't be long before V8's are looked at as V12's are seen now.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any of us that have spent time with a D5 loaner sure appreciate our LR4's even more. They won't be a collectable vehicle but rather a unique vehicle appreciated by other LR4 owners and LR4 past owners. Not many V8, unibody-on-frame, big box design SUVs left. Just like the people that appreciate my brother's perfectly restored '68 GTO convertible.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd add that it will largely depend on what the new Defender specs out like.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA