Winter prep anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to clutter up the 18" wheel thread, but wanted to post this in case it was useful.

Am I the only one that likes to be over prepared in winter and even enjoys a good blizzard? If you have to have it, might as well be extreme right?

I just put Blizzak winter tires on my factory 19"s in 255/55R19 (stock size). I know it isn't a popular size but for winters I don't need anything larger and I also wanted to support z-chain. I seriously doubt I will need chains given these snow tires are amazing, but I do travel across Iowa quite a bit and several instances I have had to drive through some serious winter weather. (part of why I carry a tow strap, but it has only ever been used to help others, knock on wood)

Just for reference on clearance with the z-chains, here are some pictures. The frame horn picture is a little misleading because of the angle. I still have 3/4" or more. I am hoping I could use these z-chains on 265/60R18 also.

IMG_20161111_105501_zpsdizm7diw.jpg

IMG_20161111_105436_zps3jk4rfzs.jpg

IMG_20161111_105443_zpsiao8zvn4.jpg

IMG_20161111_105412_zpsmlw1kwev.jpg

Also getting the usual goodies ready, extra winter clothing, food/water/tiny camp stove (backpacking type gear)... Just need some snow now.

Anyone else?

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally think that good tires, winter survival kit (CO , WY) and planning is more important. Have never needed chains. Living in Colorado with relatives in STL, I've traveled many times across Eastern Colorado, Kansas and Missouri during the winter. The challenge is Colorado and Kansas. The biggest risk is the other idiots that think all season tires is all they need. Most of them end up off the road in the ditch or in accidents.

I run General Grabber AT2's that are snowflake rated. Excellent tire for snow and that North wind across a East / West road that produces snow on top of ice.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, i agree. The chains probably won't be needed with good snow tires. They may come out if we end up messing around in a snowy field or something. :D They are pretty cheap though, I don't mind having them in case.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like your spirit.
Winters on and waiting for the snow now. Might drive up the Adirondacks tomorrow to see how these tires handle the situation, it's snowing up there right now.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why Land Rover says not to put chains (cables) on the rear wheels?

I was just looking at it.. I see where the e-brake lines go in.. they are probably the closest, but the front upper a-arms are way closer in the front. The brake lines are nowhere near the sidewalls... what am I missing guys? The rears look like they would be fine for cables. (I have two sets with that intention)

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see examples of them on the rear of an LR4... so not sure.. maybe they just want you to put them on the front, not the rear, but exclude the concept of having two sets??

2011-land-rover-lr4-snow-rear-590x400.jpg

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my experience driving from Boston to Vermont most winter weekends to ski, getting traction is never an issue. I run Nokian Hakka winter tires and have never gotten stuck, no matter how deep the snow is. The bigger reason to run winter tires is to stop and turn this heavy vehicle in slippery conditions.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally think that good tires, winter survival kit (CO , WY) and planning is more important. Have never needed chains. Living in Colorado with relatives in STL, I've traveled many times across Eastern Colorado, Kansas and Missouri during the winter. The challenge is Colorado and Kansas. The biggest risk is the other idiots that think all season tires is all they need. Most of them end up off the road in the ditch or in accidents.

I run General Grabber AT2's that are snowflake rated. Excellent tire for snow and that North wind across a East / West road that produces snow on top of ice.

What size Grabbers do you run?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV