Worried about flipping or rolling over.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chief Justice

Reaction score
I just got my LR3 a month ago and love it. I have taken it out and started up extremely steep hills and then backed down as it felt like they were too steep and it may flip back. I am guessing I would make it, but would hate to ruin my new truck by flipping backwards. Same goes with side angles. When I bought my car the dealer drove through a very short course and the side angles he did made me feel like we were going to roll, but obviously they built the course to the trucks capabilities. I wasn't driving so I really don't have a true feel for the angle. Also when I am in weeds and clumps, etc. it may effect the angles.

I have read the manual and understand the angles they have listed, but a hill may have an overall aangle of 40 degrees, but short sections that may approach 50 or more degrees. I would love to head out to a LR event so I can see others doing something and following them with confidence. No events are planned right now. So in the meantime I am being very wimpy. I had a CJ5 for 8 years and never rolled it.

Any ideas for me to extend myself to allow my rig to be challenged further without rolling it or flipping it? How hard are they to flip or roll?

Thanks in advance. (wimpy new owner Ray)

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They can and will roll, but it's pretty hard. I've been to 45 degrees cross-slope and held it. But as you say, surface irregularities can make things dicey. Where are you located? If in SoCal, the local LR club does trail runs all the time, including a new member orientation run next month. www.sclr.org

For example, these angles here are okay:
103748774_jNzja-L.jpg

103748906_c7Jg8-L.jpg

110910415_DYBGu-L.jpg

117587039_SAn2C-L.jpg

Chief Justice

Reaction score
Wow thanks for the quick and thorough response. I wish I was able to attend your new member orientation, but I live in Kansas City. They do have a club, just no events planned. That will do the most to help me for sure.

That bottom picture looks to be exactly 45 degrees. Great pics, and great framing on the bottom one. So is up or down the same? Meaning can you go DOWN a steeper grade than UP or no diff? That second pic looks like some of the hills I have been doing, but that's been about the top limit so far.

Love your white LR. Looks like mine, without the sliders, the 18" wheels, great tires, lights, decals, roof rack, etc. Looks totally tricked out. I would doubt that the 09's are out yet however you have the matching fenders and bumpers. VERY nice. Did you do that yourself, or do you have early access to the 09's? Very nice!

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a pre-production model, imported by LRNA before they figured out what options/configurations they were going to offer the North American market. Technically a 2005 model, but built in 2004 I think. The truck was test mule at Premier Automotive Group (LRNA's parent company within the Ford organization), and was a test bed for multiple paint schemes, inside and out. It's a rare truck that I love and treat to trail use frequently.

I think you can go down steeper than up, but my personal preference is to go up, I feel like I have more control. For sure, I hate going down steep stuff in reverse!

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chief Justice,
If you want to learn about your car, sign up for the Land Rover Experience. The locations are in Carmel, CA, somewhere in Qubec, Canada, and one of the Carolinas. You are about the same distance from any of them, the one in California is awsome, I don't know about the rest from personal experience, but I've heard they were also great. In a day long training class you really find out how capeable the vehicle is and you are driving their stock Land Rovers. Really a day worth the money.

David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72