Wow!!! What did I find? Help me figure this out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike98765432

Reaction score
Hello all, I recently acquired my parents 1997 Range Rover 4.0 SE for my daughter as her first car. It’s in great shape with 78k mileage. It’s been a while since I’ve driven it and it felt like was lacking the acceleration I was used to feeling in it’s younger days. It gave no error codes and passed emission inspection with flying colors but I kept feeling like something was wrong. The lack of acceleration sent me looking for a clogger or stuck EGR value but there it no EGR on this model. When checking hoses for leaked I pulled the hose off the top of the left hand cam cover. There is a short length of hose connecting in cam cover to the base of the air intake manifold. Inside the cam cover I found this piece of plastic. (See pics below) It is the exact side and fit in snuggly. Give it’s shape and how it would reduce the air flow it looks like it would reduce the air flow by 80% in this hose. After I removed this piece the acceleration was back.

Any idea what this thing is?
Does it have a legitimate use?
Why do you think it was put into the engine?
image.jpg
image.jpg

rally3

Reaction score
It is a restrictor for the PCV system, It is designed to control air/oil vapor getting into the intake manifold, I don't know the side effects of leaving it out if any, I have seen a few vehicles with it missing..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72