Yet Another Tow Hitch Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I've got the stupid LR hitch adapter (old style), and I'm having some problems. A few weeks ago, I realized that I had left the hitch on all winter, and the lock had seized up. I took it into the dealer, and they replaced the locking handle. I was then able to remove the hitch from the truck, which I promptly did, and stored it under the 3rd row seat. I pulled the hitch out a couple of days ago, and the damn key was broken in the lock! I swear this thing is the most poorly engineered accessory on earth.

Anyway, I followed the procedure to remove the locking handle, which allowed me to extract the broken key. Trouble is, now that I've put it all back together, nothing works anymore. The handle is in the correct ("loaded") position, but when I push the hitch adapter into the slot on the truck, it will not lock. I disassembled the whole hitch again, to see if the locking pin appeared to be stuck, but it doesn't. I also tried striking the "pin" with a hammer to see if I could trigger the locking mechanism. I even stopped by the dealer to see if they could do anything about it, and they basically said "its broken, we can sell you a new one for $500".

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is this stupid thing hopelessly broken? Is it even a serviceable part? Anybody want to sell me one cheap?:biggrin:

Paul

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I've got the stupid LR hitch adapter (old style), and I'm having some problems...

There is a new style? What did they change? I looked on RoverParts and I see one part listed, but it fits everything ? (that's a funny video on the page below...I have never seen the hitch just fall out in my hand when I turn the key! LOL. )
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/LR019990G.cfm

A few weeks ago, I realized that I had left the hitch on all winter, and the lock had seized up....
I just leave mine on always. When or if I think about it I try to remove it once in a while. But, since it doesn't really get in the way and the LR3 doesn't have a place to store it, it stays on. I just figured if it wasn't on or in the truck, I surely wouldn't have it with me when I needed it.

Sorry, don't have another to sell you. :(

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a new style? What did they change?

It's very similar, but smaller and with orange keys instead of those ghetto folding ones.

I've seen that video before, and I'm convinced it took about 20 takes for that to happen so smoothly. I usually have to kick the damn thing to get it to drop! I thought about just leaving the hitch on all the time, but then I have even less hope of getting my spare tire down efficiently (or at all). I was going to move the spare to the roof and put the hitch back on, but I can't really do that now since the hitch no longer works...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen that video before, and I'm convinced it took about 20 takes for that to happen so smoothly....
:biggrin:
I thought about just leaving the hitch on all the time, but then I have even less hope of getting my spare tire down efficiently ...
Oh, that's right! I forgot about that. I haven't taken my spare off in so long. That'd make a sh*tty flat situation worse...

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the green knob is ok but the hitch unit is done. You can get them used for about $350.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to spend that kind of money, just buy a mitch hitch, it is better, higher, and stronger. It is in the same price range.

I'm not sure why LR has such an expensive setup, considering the cost of hitches on other vehicles, reese systems, and so on, it makes no sense.

There have also been some reports of those hitch adapters breaking, at least on early models, so if you are serious about towing, don't skimp.

4advtr

Reaction score
If you are going to spend that kind of money, just buy a mitch hitch, it is better, higher, and stronger. It is in the same price range.

I'm not sure why LR has such an expensive setup, considering the cost of hitches on other vehicles, reese systems, and so on, it makes no sense.

There have also been some reports of those hitch adapters breaking, at least on early models, so if you are serious about towing, don't skimp.

The Mitch Hitch isn't available in the US...

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know nobody is retailing it in the US, but there is nothing preventing anyone from ordering it, or doing a group order. That's how you buy Traxide for example, only from Traxide in Australia.

4advtr

Reaction score
I know nobody is retailing it in the US, but there is nothing preventing anyone from ordering it, or doing a group order. That's how you buy Traxide for example, only from Traxide in Australia.

I don't think it's DOT approved either. Not that its going to matter to some folks. I plan on pulling an RV with mine so it definitely matters to me given the consequences of having an accident towing the RV with a non-DOT approved hitch.

sandals

Reaction score
There is a new style? What did they change? I looked on RoverParts and I see one part listed, but it fits everything ? (that's a funny video on the page below...I have never seen the hitch just fall out in my hand when I turn the key! LOL. )
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/LR019990G.cfm

I just leave mine on always. When or if I think about it I try to remove it once in a while. But, since it doesn't really get in the way and the LR3 doesn't have a place to store it, it stays on. I just figured if it wasn't on or in the truck, I surely wouldn't have it with me when I needed it.

Sorry, don't have another to sell you. :(

My '05 has a foam insert on the rear driver's side (left) cubby that holds the hitch plus a cheesy strap to secure it. Awkward to get it in there though~!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV