Your Favorite Conceal Carry Pistol?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Biagetti, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Biagetti

Biagetti Full Access Member

Thought that I would check in with you all here and see what you are carrying. It is time that I get my conceal carry permit as we have our first child on the way due in January.

I've been looking around for years now and just haven't "pulled the trigger" on anything yet.

Some key attributes that I'm looking at are.... .40cal, subcompact, multiple safety levels, easily concealable, access to good holsters/accessories.

The Glock 27 subcompact has a great feel, but lacks the additional safety. Smith and Wesson M&P .40 compact seems decent, but I don't like the trigger safety again.

I keep going back to the Sig Sauer P250 as it has the actual safety and not just the trigger safety and is comfortable. Of course I would get magazine extenders for the range but it is nice and compact as well.

Anyone have any preferences or experiences? How about with Springfield Armory XD Compact and the grip safety?
    Thanks!

2. mbw

mbw Full Access Member

You will read many different things about this. People love to argue over this stuff. Here is my opinion.

I am a Glock guy. I love the gen4 Glock 19. I think 9mm is a good round. I wanted the capacity and smaller size. The defensive rounds have plenty of power. Hollow points spread almost as much as a 40.

Either way, you need to train and practice to burn the weapon handling abilities into your brain so that it is muscle memory. In a situation your fine motor skills are going to go out the window, so you need to work the slide with a hand, not the slide lock with a finger (its called a slide lock for a reason). This is another reason I prefer Glock. Having external safeties is a good way to mess yourself up in a high stress situation. Having a different trigger pull (single action vs double) is also going to be more complex than a safe action trigger, which always has the same trigger pull and feel, first round or last.

Glocks are great combat handguns. Purpose built. Keep a round in the chamber when you carry. Keep it in a good safe (quick access safe near the bed) when at home. I keep a light on mine also when its at home.

I think if you want to commit to getting a carry permit, that is great, but you need to find a place to train. Do something like IDPA (defensive pistol). Or courses. Going to a range and shooting paper while standing still is NOT going to give you much of any training for defensive purposes. You need to do something where you can get your heart rate up, adrenaline up, and shoot quickly at close targets... a combat situation.

You also need to discuss how you will handle situations in your house with your family. Keep a phone in your bedroom. Have the wife know what to do, make a call, get the kids to a safe place. You need to know where they are before you are clearing your house. Keep your finger off the damn trigger and dont load up ball ammo unless you want to kill some neighbors through 7 layers of drywall.

I could go on about this for a long time. Happy to answer more questions, but check out sites like defensivecarry.com Plenty of stuff to read.

3. Biagetti

Wow, I appreciate all of your insight and seems that you have some good experience. I'm not stuck on anything right now and like you said, Glock produces a great product. You, as other instructors and staff at the stores/ranges bring up the point that the external safety is one other obstruction when adrenaline kicks in... food for thought!

As you mentioned, I think it is a great idea to find courses that run you through scenarios instead of stagnant shooting all the time. Surprisingly, the Jacksonville area has some pretty good facilities and grounds for such. A range close by offers numerous courses on Defensive, Home Defensive Tactics.... They have the Concealed Weapons License Course next Saturday which I may sign up for. I'll likely get a better idea and feel for which handgun I should get after the class...I hope. These guys seem helpful and most are armed forces/law enforcement.

I grew up around guns and hunting in Southwestern PA, so I always have safety being my number one priority. I forget what it was exactly, but I took a Junior Hunter's Safety Education course and they just drill everything safety-wise into you which is great.

Again, I appreciate your insights.... what kind of holster do you feel most comfortable with? Researching online seems that most go with a inside belt clip type?

4. Biagetti

I am signed up for the concealed class this Saturday. The instructor will have numerous handguns to fire during the range time of the class. I hope to be able to get a better feel for the features of the different brands and calibers.

5. mbw

mbw Full Access Member

You will most likely try a lot of them, but my favorite for carry is the Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe in horse hide (doesn't absorb moisture like cow hide does, very comfortable). I also use a crossbreed belt with the velro and the Velcro V-Clips for the holster (so you dont see any clips for the holster.

you can tuck in your shirt and not see any clips and it conceals really well.

6. eljefe

eljefe Full Access Member

i have and love my subcompact xd9. the .40 is the same dimensions. I did recently switch to carrying the springfield xds .45 5+1. slimest .45 they make and shoots decent. just buy what feels right in your hand. goodluck

7. Biagetti

Hey thanks again for insights ... the class didn't help all that much in selection of the gun. The instructor only let us shoot a .22. He did have on hand some others to which I handled. I do again like the sub compacts and the XD's do feel good in the hand.....

Good thought mbw on the horse hide...was not aware of that!

I have an appointment at the local Department of Agriculture on January 2nd for the license and hope to make up my indecisive mind by then.... DECISIONS!!!

8. mbw

mbw Full Access Member

What eljefe said is right though, even if you love the look/philosophy/idea of a certain model, it still needs to fit right in your hand.

XD's are great also. They share many things with Glock, but also have a lot of neat things that make them different. As far as fit, first off just pick it up and see how it feels. Some people love Glocks but they just don't even feel right in hand so they dont use them. The grip angle also can be a big thing. A 1911 has a very different grip angle than a glock.

The stipling (grip texture) is also important to get right. Depending on how you carry, you dont want something made of razor blades cutting up your gut, but at the same time a smooth finish can be a bad idea. Go shoot a pistol in a competition setting or run and gun (Be sweaty or have adrenaline going) and you will see why its good to have some texture on the gun. You dont want to drop the thing in a situation.

If you get the chance, just go to a gun show and start picking up pistols, get a feel for them. Even between different sizes of the same basic gun, or even different years can make a difference. Glock 19 gen 3 is a great gun, but I prefer the gen 4 over it because of a few updates they made. 1. you can adjust the grip size with a back strap (same on xds) 2. the mag release is larger and I can use it without changing my grip. 3. the texture is more aggressive and I can hold on to it more, also a downside for carry though since your skin has to get used to it a little, but you toughen up. 4. New recoil spring assembly, does actually make a difference for me getting back on target for follow up rounds. It has improved my double tap accuracy.

Have fun. Be Safe.

9. Biagetti

In the past couple of days I've thought hard and had staff at the shops pull all of the different subcompacts out of the cases so that I can hold, handle, rack the slide s and everything but shoot them.

Oddly enough, I think I've changed my ideal carry weapon that I had in mind. I know a lot would be against this.... but I'm leaning towards the Smith and Wesson .380 Bodyguard. I was dead set on a .40....

Like the old sayings.... a .380 is better than a .40 or whatever at home in the nightstand. Well I do have a 12G behind the headboard...

Living in Florida, I have shorts and a T-shirt on 11 months out of the year. The Bodyguard is just as it is... a pocket pistol. Sure, you can barely get two fingers on the grip... but it even fits comfortably in my pockets. The already included laser isnt a bad idea and gives me more confidence if my wife ever had to handle it god-forbid. She is pretty familiar with firearms and once she delivers our 1st (due Jan 16th) she will become familiar with the final outcome.

From online reviews and speaking with these guys who are experienced in their products... they all seem to say that the S&W Bodyguard is the only .380 to consider.... I think its a done deal. As funds allow, I would like to add a larger caliber at some point as well. I just feel that for right now I will get the most use or be more apt to carry the Bodyguard at all times when possible.

10. mbw

mbw Full Access Member

If you are actually going to carry it more, then it is probably a good choice. As far as carry weapons go, if you bought some larger .40 but never carried it, then its a lot less effective than a .380.

just remember to be strict with yourself about training and also knowing the laws in your state.